Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

2021 Jayco Northpoint rlbh winterize pump not taking antifreeze but pump seems to be working?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Radioherd

RVF Regular
Hi All,

Just bought our used 5th wheel and towed it from Nebraska to Oklahoma yesterday! We went through all the steps to winterize today but when we got to using the pump to siphon the antifreeze into the city water inlet, nothing happens.

The pump is working as air/water remnants are coming out the fixtures, but no antifreeze is going up the hose into the city water intake.

All the valves are set to winterize (pic attached) - the only thing i can think is the hose i bought to go from antifreeze to city water isn't right - its's a 10ft rv drinking water hose (pic attached).

Any ideas what we are missing?

Attachments

• hose.jpg
    hose.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Jayco winterize settings.jpg
    Jayco winterize settings.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 5
What I had to do on our Forester is put a hand pump in the bucket of antifreeze.

Then the discharge of the hand pump went to the inlet to the coach pump.

Turned pump on and used the hand pump to get things started - primed using the hand pump.

Once it got started all flowed well to winterize.

What I had to do on our Forester is put a hand pump in the bucket of antifreeze.

Then the discharge of the hand pump went to the inlet to the coach pump.

Turned pump on and used the hand pump to get things started - primed using the hand pump.

Once it got started all flowed well to winterize.

Ok so in addition to the attached video (which is our exact system), you had to get the hand pump to get the siphoning started?

Yes, on our coach the pump wouldn’t prime itself when trying to pull from the ground to the pump inlet until I helped get that line filled.

Basically I put one of the hand pumps in the jug and connected the intake hose to the discharge of the hand pump, turned on the pump and did the hand pump a couple cycles to get it started.

You have enough room in your bay, you may be able to set the jug in there and it may prime itself when not trying to pull all the way from ground level.

I also have a hose that I cut to the length I need for the process to minimize what needs filled before getting to the pump suction.

Yes, on our coach the pump wouldn’t prime itself when trying to pull from the ground to the pump inlet until I helped get that line filled.

Basically I put one of the hand pumps in the jug and connected the intake hose to the discharge of the hand pump, turned on the pump and did the hand pump a couple cycles to get it started.

You have enough room in your bay, you may be able to set the jug in there and it may prime itself when not trying to pull all the way from ground level.

I also have a hose that I cut to the length I need for the process to minimize what needs filled before getting to the pump suction.
Ok thanks yes we ended up just siphoning by holding above the height of the water intake and using a funnel and eventually it started taking it.... seems like it shouldn't need that so probably a deeper issue at hand?

Glad you got it going.

Yeah, even in the video they mentioned you may need to raise the jug to get it flowing. The pumps don’t like to move air so priming helps.

Can’t say for sure but most likely not a deeper issue. If the pump has been working fine it is normal behavior from what I have seen and read about.

Latest resources

Back