Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

cablekap57

RVF Newbee
We purchased a new 36SSWS in may and we had several water leaks. The first was a loose, not even hand tightened connection under the kitchen island. The second has been a seek and destroy mission with the shower. It ended up being several loose connections behind the shower panel on the wall. There are a myriad of connections to accommodate the triple heads, and most of them were loose. I could see water inside of this panel so I tightened all of them. However we were seeing discoloration in the linoleum outside of the shower. I noticed water behind the wall in the basement underneath the shower where the hot and cold supply lines went up through the floor and I thought it was the transition from pex to plastic at the elbow as I saw water dripping from them, so I changed them. I ended up cutting the linoleum out of the bathroom floor and it was soaked. I took the partition wall and glass panels out and saw that there was a hole in the track that the glass sat in on the top of the shelf on top of the partition wall that should have had a screw. Upon peeling the partition wall apart, you could see where most of the water had been going as it was soaked and starting to rot. We put up a shower rod and curtain thinking that was the problem. Well we still were getting water that appeared to be leaking from under the shower pan in the back corner next to the toilet. Not as much, but still not acceptable. I noticed that the supply lines coming out of the wall to the shower panel were different than the lines going through the floor in the basement. I disconnected them and taped rope to each one, so I could pull them back through, and pulled them up out of the wall in the shower. There were transitions from the plastic lines that left the basement to braided steel lines that went to the shower panel and they weren’t even hand tightened. I replaced them with 6 foot braided steel supply lines and placed new shutoff valves on each in the basement. No more leaks so far. I had emailed Jayco about how unhappy we were with a $150,000 MSRP unit 6 months after purchase and they contacted the dealership upon which they reached out to me. We have an appointment with the repair technician on Monday to come and put together an estimate for repairs and we will show him the damage to everything and the pictures of everything as we took things apart. I wanted to share our experience with others that may be having similar issues. Overall we really like our fifth wheel. We are natives of northwest Montana and still live here and so far this winter we have had no problems. I have insulated and skirted our unit and have stayed very cozy. I realize that there are always issues with a new coach, but for the price they charge, you would think that there would be some quality control.

Unfortunately the build quality of most production RV's has dropped like a stone. Between 5 plus years before covid of record sales, and then covid itself, getting the qualified help on the production lines and maintaining quality work has been a major problem. Glad you were able to get the leaks stopped, and hopefully the dealer/mfg will make things right for you.

I worked on a brand new Voltage a month ago. Every single water connection leaked. All of them. And the shower drain was so misaligned that it broke the flange. Luckily it came down in the front compartment and we got it fixed. Most of the water connections were the plastic nuts like go on a residential toilet. Some of them could be turned more then 3 half turns before some resistance was felt. I went to a large 5th wheel by Heartland today, 2018, and the whole rear cap, if you can call it that is falling off. Screwed every so often with regular screws that only penetrated the edge of plywood by maybe 1 inch. Might have worked if screwed every 8 inches or so. But then water got in and it is a mess. I have never seen anything put in the edge of plywood hold worth crap. It just splits.

Latest resources

Back