Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DBRich

RVF Newbee
2002 11' Lance camper, 30 amp fuses keep blowing, disconnected black & white wire to converter from fuses, still blowing 30 amp
breakers when battery hooked up.

Breaker, or fuse? I would think a fuse if it's 30 amp in a 2002 RV.
Then somewhere between the fuse and the convertor, you have a chaffed or pinched hot wire. Looks like you're going to have to crawl around under the chassis. Might also be a screw driven through the wire by a previous owner.

But first....does it have electric brakes, and might the break-away switch be activated?

Roger

Are you running your camper on an excessively long power cord or a cord of insufficient wire thickness?

Rick

Breaker, or fuse? I would think a fuse if it's 30 amp in a 2002 RV.
Then somewhere between the fuse and the convertor, you have a chaffed or pinched hot wire. Looks like you're going to have to crawl around under the chassis. Might also be a screw driven through the wire by a previous owner.

But first....does it have electric brakes, and might the break-away switch be activated?

Roger
Thanks for the bounce back, there are two, 30 amp fuses that i understand are from the converter that are above the row of smaller fuses for the appliances,. I removed the cover and found the converter below the fuse panel mounted in back of what looks like a 1920's ham radio. coils of copper wire, etc. Not sure what this is but the silver box in the back is the converter. I pulled the model number from its tag. coming from the converter are a black and white wire running up to the 30 amp fuses. I disconnected these two wires to isolate the converter and when 12V applied the fuses still pop. I will be digging into the panel further to trace wires, do you know of a good electrical diagram ? I am having a hard time finding anything helpful so, I am doing this blind at present, looking for obvious issues, as I thought it was the converter. No brakes, More to follow.....

I would see about contacting Lance Campers which is owned by Rev Group to see if you can get any documentation. I know Lance Camper MFG is located in California.

Thanks for the bounce back, there are two, 30 amp fuses that i understand are from the converter that are above the row of smaller fuses for the appliances,.
This sounds quite typical.
I removed the cover and found the converter below the fuse panel mounted in back of what looks like a 1920's ham radio. coils of copper wire, etc. Not sure what this is but the silver box in the back is the converter.
This does not sound typical. You might want to look it over, using a mirror for the back side, to see if there's any info on it. Also, see where, exactly, the wires to this unusual contraption go.
I pulled the model number from its tag. coming from the converter are a black and white wire running up to the 30 amp fuses. I disconnected these two wires to isolate the converter and when 12V applied the fuses still pop.
Wait.....let me get this straight. You disconnected the black and white wires from the convertor to the fuses, isolating the convertor, right? You then applied 12vdc to the fuses, and they (both) blew?
Check to ensure that the black and white aren't supposed to be 120AC into the convertor. (Gotta remember, you have no clue what a previous owner might have done to this camper.)
I will be digging into the panel further to trace wires, do you know of a good electrical diagram ? I am having a hard time finding anything helpful so, I am doing this blind at present, looking for obvious issues, as I thought it was the converter. No brakes, More to follow.....
OK.....yeah, you'll have to do this the hard way. Draw it out as you follow the wires......it'll help you in the long run. I might suggest you start with the incoming 120ac, so that you'll have something from the primary supply, all the way to your outlets, but starting at the convertor's 12 volt out is also good. Brakes.....that's good in that we now know there's no shorting or grounding of the brakes wires to the axle.

Any way you can post a pic or two, especially of this magic "black box" that may not belong there?

Roger

OK, Think I'm on it, after properly tracing the "Blue" wire and white wire from the converter, see photo how I was deceived by the black & white wire coming from the lower unit. Once wires from converter were disconnected the fuse stopped blowing, back to shopping for a converter.
Thanks for all the feedback and help, and let me know what the lower unit is, amplifier ? maybe ??
Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_3871.JPEG
    IMG_3871.JPEG
    932.6 KB · Views: 7
Did a bit of searching for that "series 7300" and "model 7345" info on that sticker. Came up with a bunch of pics, and it appears that the "extra" little device is actually a sub-section of the convertor as a whole. That will probably come out of there when you pull it in favor of the replacement convertor.

U.S. Navy aviation school, Millington Tennessee, 1987....the mantra from the instructors was "attention to detail"...and it works.

Just sayin'.....Roger

Thaks again for the help, sooooo... I am assuming that the replacement (upgraded) converters that I am seeing on amazon should replace everything on the shelf ?? Interesting .... I am only seeing one available that says it replaces the 7345 converter, guess I will get one of those ??

1981 private pilot, 1986 A & P Certified, 15 years working on the line at Horizon/Alaska Airlines mtx. Its all about
the "details" and having the right manual !

Latest resources

Back