Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question 4 Season Travel in Roadtrek in freezing weather?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RoadTrekkie

RVF Regular
The official word from Roadtrek is that they are not recommended for winter use.
However, I know that some people live or travel in them year round.
I would like to visit some areas where temperatures are expected to be below freezing, but I would like to be able to use the shower, toilet, and running water.
I see that the fresh & black tank, most 1/2" Pex supply lines, macerator, and macerator hose are all pretty exposed under the chassis.

This lead to some research on tank heaters, pipe heater wraps and insulation. But I now have more questions than answers.
1) Are 13.5V heaters better than 120V because they can be used en route?
2) Where and how might DC power supply for such a heater connected in an 2007 SS Agile? Presumably directly to the chassis batteries, but is there a place (preferably fused) better than under the rear bed battery compartment?
3) What hardware other than the heater pad is needed?
4) Is pipe insulation enough or is electrically warmed pipe wrapping necessary?
Note that this would likely be mostly California usage, so unlikely to get below 20 deg F, but I'd like to do it 'right' while I'm at it.

The official word from Roadtrek is that they are not recommended for winter use.
However, I know that some people live or travel in them year round.
I would like to visit some areas where temperatures are expected to be below freezing, but I would like to be able to use the shower, toilet, and running water.
I see that the fresh & black tank, most 1/2" Pex supply lines, macerator, and macerator hose are all pretty exposed under the chassis.

This lead to some research on tank heaters, pipe heater wraps and insulation. But I now have more questions than answers.
1) Are 13.5V heaters better than 120V because they can be used en route?
2) Where and how might DC power supply for such a heater connected in an 2007 SS Agile? Presumably directly to the chassis batteries, but is there a place (preferably fused) better than under the rear bed battery compartment?
3) What hardware other than the heater pad is needed?
4) Is pipe insulation enough or is electrically warmed pipe wrapping necessary?
Note that this would likely be mostly California usage, so unlikely to get below 20 deg F, but I'd like to do it 'right' while I'm at it.
I’ll update on my efforts. So far I’ve put tank heaters (13v) on my all three tanks. I took my Zion to the Sierras last week and the fresh lines still froze. Next I’ll try insulating the lines coming off the tank and possible inside where they’re close to the body. The tank heaters may have been a waste of money

You are in rare atmosphere. Most don't do this. Any and all insulation is beneficial and you will be the first to know if it isn't sufficient. Unlike most people that will tell you that wind chill does not effect lines or inanimate objects, I lived in a very chilly place. Moving air will chill or remove heat even from inanimate objects. Using 12v is easy when you are moving and charging batteries. All power is reduced when temps drop and demand increases. Depending on how much time you spend in the cold and how many amp hours is needed, look at Lithium and keep them warm as well.

A lot of the plumbing is in/near the exterior skin of the vehicle. You will need to do a lot of tracing to get all of it insulated and heat taped.

Honestly, unless you just have to have running water, bring a 5 gallon jug and use wag bags in the toilet. A good trashbag and kitty litter makes a good toilet.

One trick to consider is a small recirculating pump to keep water moving in the pipes. Remember that energy must be supplied somehow or things will freeze anyhow.

Latest resources

Back