Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

GaryWWilson

RVF Regular
My fifth wheel has an exterior 50 amp plug. I am running a 30 amp cord from my generator in the bed of my truck inside through the fifth wheel to the interior rv electrical box. Any suggestions on how to wire them separately? I know I need some type of double throw box but I am clueless electrically. Thanks

Get a 50A to 30A adapter and use the 50 amp cord then to the 30A output of the generator.

Or If your generator is capable of 240 volts, that can be wired to provide 120 volts to one side of the 50 amp cord and also 120 volts to the other side of the 50 amp cord. BUT YOU BETTER KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! It is simple but only allows for one fatal error and things inside the RV may fry and emit smoke. It is never good to let the smoke out of the box.

The NEMA 20 A outlets on the generator are usually split between the 2 phases. Thus the top part of the outlet is on one phase and the bottom part of the outlet is on the other phase. You may have to monkey around with neutral and ground connections to get all to work. But in the end, you are limited to the total number of watts of generator capacity.

Plug fifth directly into a generator with a bonded Neutral-Ground connection. If your generator doesn't have a bonded Neutral-Ground connection, just make an Edison plug AKA Generator Bonding Plug. How to tell? Just plug in a 3-light outlet tester into your running generator and see if it shows an "open ground". If so, then you have a floating neutral generator and you need to make a plug. If you get the correct double-yellow without a red light, then your generator is already neutral bonded. Then all you need is a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter. Plug the camper into the 50 amp side of the adapter, then plug the 30 amp side of the adapter into the 30 amp outlet of the generator.

I have to ask....

Why?
Dan I want to be able to use my 30 amp generator when I stop and hook it directly but separately from my exterior amp 50. 30 amp line will be concealed inside 5th wheel. I do want to string it along the outside going from 50 amp plug to 30 amp cord.

Consult with a qualified electrician familiar with RV systems or you will let the magic smoke out of things you treasure.

Sounds like you need a transfer switch. My Class A has one and defaults to the generator and when you plug into 50 amp it will switch over to 50 amp as long as it is connected.

Latest resources

Back