Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

SIMONEFROMTHED

RVF Regular
Hello Everyone! I'm the proud owner of a very cool '84 Toyota Sunrader that is in tip top shape that I have enjoyed refurbing for the last couple years. Just recently I purchased an '82 Chevrolet Honey and I am beyond confused! I firstly am unable to ignite the furnace. Which in Detroit right now is no bueno. Propane tank is topped off 3/4 full, I have replaced the thermostat and the stove and oven pilots are igniting. The closest manual for it I can find online is the Jamboree and I wasn't able to find anything to help. There's talk about an “auxiliary power plant” that I've read and I'm not sure if this extra battery in outside cargo (shown in attached photo) is supposed to do something? I've taken apart all the furnace panels inside and out to see if there's an ignition switch anywhere but I think I'm really missing something. In addition, this thing has an electric water heater that won't crank on when I plug it into my genny, it's completely inaccessible to diagnose without removing all the plumbing etc, looks relatively new though. I'm not sure if this is connected to the furnace pilot/power issue or completely separate. I guess I got lucky with the Toyota being my first RV project because all the systems in that are pretty self explanatory. Hoping someone has experience in any of this and can give me some guidance! Thank ya'll in advance for your time!
IMG_3815.jpg
IMG_3816.jpg
IMG_3818.jpg
IMG_3819.jpg
IMG_3822.jpg
IMG_3824 copy.jpg
IMG_3826.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3817.jpg
    IMG_3817.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Not sure from your discussion, but do you know that the furnace is getting 12v? Nothing will happen if there is no power and your text seems to indicate there might not be. If this is the case try powering the 12v side externally and see if you can get it to fire. If I’m missing something, well nothing new there….

Also check the t-stat wire on the furnace end. Make sure that when the t-stat is calling for heat the furnace is getting the signal. @TheLooks can be of more help here if needed.

Not sure from your discussion, but do you know that the furnace is getting 12v? Nothing will happen if there is no power and your text seems to indicate there might not be. If this is the case try powering the 12v side externally and see if you can get it to fire. If I’m missing something, well nothing new there….
Hey Rich! I've had the rig plugged into a genny but never shore power and it didn't make a difference as far as turning the thermostat up to get the furnace to kick on was concerned, my Toyota doesn't need anything but propane to ignite the furnace. Is there a way I can diagnose this power question? Im wondering if this is what the battery far from the furnace, hooked up to nothing is for? Please be patient with me haha

Yeah it still needs 12v at the furnace and it needs the signal when the t-stat is calling for heat. Both things can be checked with a multi-meter. Running the genny or being on shore power should provide 12v through the converter, but it might not be getting there. Or you might have a bad component in the furnace such as a limit switch, ignition controller, gas valve, or even a bad ground. So plenty to check.

This might help - I’ve only glanced at it but it seems to be on the right track: How To Test RV Furnace Components It should also have a “sail switch” in the blower housing which confirms that the blower is working. If that is bad it will also keep the furnace from lighting.

You're the man! Thanks Rich, I'll check into this and talk again soon I'm sure
I’m only guessing with limited information, but at least the above will keep you busy for a while. Hope it helps.
This is a much newer furnace but the same principles apply

I think my main issue here is that I can't find the manual anywhere. That link is great but it wants me to have the manual first thing 😅...the search continues

I have heat pumps on the roof and an Oasis system in the basement and both work great for what they are, but if I’m in a park with power, at night I use a small space heater to keep the coach comforable. The other systems are make enough noise than they interrupt my sleep. A space heater would certainly get you by until you get your furnace sorted.

I have heat pumps on the roof and an Oasis system in the basement and both work great for what they are, but if I’m in a park with power, at night I use a small space heater to keep the coach comforable. The other systems are make enough noise than they interrupt my sleep. A space heater would certainly get you by until you get your furnace sorted
Im building a themed RV park in Detroit and am still working out the permits to get power on the property unfortunately. I have a guest who is currently staying in the Honey and he's been using propane temporarily as my genny recently broke. Im considering a mini wood burning stove vs buying a new genny for this reason... figuring all these options I just want to go the cheapest route during the "off season" here. Getting the furnace going and power access is my first choice/main priority.

Latest resources

Back