Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
we have become acquainted with some people that have a gorgeous motorhome at the same storage place that we use. Sharp people - they do a lot of their own maintenance and upgrades on their huge diesel motorhome - he's a handyman.
But they disappeared for the past year and we wondered what happened.
We ran into them today and got the story .
About a year ago, they were returning from a trip to Inks Lake SP, and their GPS gave them some bad directions. They ended up on a road that had been newly asphalted ....they hit a soft spot near a culvert and it collapsed. They slid off the road backwards, with their front end sticking up.
They had it towed to a dealership in Houston area for repair.
(we're familiar with that dealership - it's not large - and have looked at motorhomes for sale there when we were in the market for one. We got bad vibes about the place - they seemed disorganized.)
After several weeks, on the day that they were supposed to pick it up they get a call from the dealership with bad news .
Someone stole the motorhome.
No sign of forced entry - somebody knew it was repaired, and had keys? Oddly, the security cameras weren't working.
It appears that the thieves didn't give it time to get up on its bags and drove it over some concrete blocks and down through a steep ditch. It sheared off a cap on the transmission fluid so about a mile down the road it quit running and they abandoned it. Engine was ruined, transmission ruined, the entire bottom was messed up.
Fortunately they do have good insurance, but the cost for the SECOND repair job was about $85,000. they had to put in a new transmission and a new engine.

IMG_8284.jpeg

we have become acquainted with some people that have a gorgeous motorhome at the same storage place that we use. Sharp people - they do a lot of their own maintenance and upgrades on their huge diesel motorhome - he's a handyman.
But they disappeared for the past year and we wondered what happened.
We ran into them today and got the story .
About a year ago, they were returning from a trip to Inks Lake SP, and their GPS gave them some bad directions. They ended up on a road that had been newly asphalted ....they hit a soft spot near a culvert and it collapsed. They slid off the road backwards, with their front end sticking up.
They had it towed to a dealership in Houston area for repair.
(we're familiar with that dealership - it's not large - and have looked at motorhomes for sale there when we were in the market for one. We got bad vibes about the place - they seemed disorganized.)
After several weeks, on the day that they were supposed to pick it up they get a call from the dealership with bad news .
Someone stole the motorhome.
No sign of forced entry - somebody knew it was repaired, and had keys? Oddly, the security cameras weren't working.
It appears that the thieves didn't give it time to get up on its bags and drove it over some concrete blocks and down through a steep ditch. It sheared off a cap on the transmission fluid so about a mile down the road it quit running and they abandoned it. Engine was ruined, transmission ruined, the entire bottom was messed up.
Fortunately they do have good insurance, but the cost for the SECOND repair job was about $85,000. they had to put in a new transmission and a new engine.

View attachment 18448

WOW How'd it turn out ?

WOW How'd it turn out ?
Looks fine - you see the (partial) photo. But me? I'd be worried about unseen damage - the entire frame being off a bit, or maybe the bags leaking.... time will tell.

Looks fine - you see the (partial) photo. But me? I'd be worried about unseen damage - the entire frame being off a bit, or maybe the bags leaking.... time will tell.
Yes time will tell .But I'd keep a close eye on it .

Geez what rotten luck

sounds like an inside job. Did they find the thief?

WOW How'd it turn out ?
The coach looks fine, but I would personally be very hesitant to buy it if they want to sell it

sounds like an inside job. Did they find the thief?
I haven't heard anything more about it, but I'll ask when we see the people again.
dealer is Demontrond on I45 south of Houston.

Latest resources

Back