Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Yesterday I arrived at a campground on the north side of the river near Hood River, OR. All was well heading on 84E and then get to cross the bridge to the WA side to get to the campground right near the bridge. RV travel never disappoints, first the toll, no big deal, then the narrow bridge. How narrow? You guessed it - NINE FOOT WIDE LANES. The coach I believe is 8'6? and those monster mirrors out on both sides. Made it unscathed but not for the faint of heart. Here is a picture driving south as I head in to Hood River today. Gorgeous area by the way!!!

IMG_2870.png

We’ve been across that bridge and it evokes a fairly serious “pucker factor” if there is on-coming traffic, even when driving a car. With a motorhome and an on-coming truck, the “pucker factor” increases exponentially.

TJ

We haul a 101" wide Demco Dolly. Life can get interesting very fast on these roads...
On Hwy 89a North out of Sedona we had one tire on the white line and one the yellow line. Probably a mistake to take that road north.... :)

sedona.jpg

Oh .. and then there is this

curvey.jpg

Last edited:
Our fiver is 101" so I avoid any route with a 9' lane. Having less than 3 inches on each side is a little tight for my liking.

I live here have a business on each side of the river own a tow truck my boats beam is 9 feet with a guide on one side I’m 9’6” and pull my 29 foot travel trailer and boat with a dually. If your not from here and cannot handle the Hood River troll bridge STAY OFF IT:) you put me in danger. I’m on this bridge frequently. Often multiple times a day.tourist season Summer especially around holidays newcomers make my daily activities dangerous.

Been here 30 years the worst are people in small cars that cant handle it. Nothing like. Prius or Honda Accord being on my side of the lanes when I’m pulling any one of my trailers or in my tow truck that require me to ride on the guard rail because they cant handle it.

Thing you have to know about this area the Washington side is full of tunnels on highway 14 that are also a width length issue log trucks and long wide loads provide a pucker factor that the bridge cant even come close to. As they are in your lane through a couple of those tunnels because they make a fairly hard turn. RVs travel trailers often have things hanging from the side hand rails awnings misc stuff most start at 8’6” of width but are wider because of those factors. Theres ways around this area get on highway 84 at The Dallas or Cascade locks and bypass the Washington side for that entire stretch. Its 40 miles. Make your plans around things on the Oregon side. Unless you are skilled at stuffing your equipment through the tunnels and the bridge. If so come on over be sure to stop in White Salmon and Bingen and deposit some tourist money in my local area.

My motto If someone’s coming at me in my lane I will stop let them hit me. So take this to heart If your crossing the Hood River troll bridge and are not on your side of the lanes slow down get over and stop and wait for a gap in traffic. Dont just keep driving and hope you dont hit me. Us locals may not like you slowing up traffic but myself I’d rather you slow up traffic than hit me.

Latest resources

Back