A/C soft start units

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Drilling holes blind is an issue.

BTW this is why I have my Newmar serviced at the Factory Service center.

Just back from Newmar Service where they fixed an issue that had plagued me for close to a year. When an experienced solar panel installer ran a wire for the battery remote controller, they drilled a hole in a basement compartment to run a data cable.
The drill grabbed the primary 12v power wire that powered the basement light circuit and shredded it. Not realizing this issue when I took delivery after the solar installation it wasn't until a Newmar factory electrician was able to track down the wire fault, which was in the wall behind the fireplace, that I was able to attribute the fault to the solar panel installer.
The wire, thankfully, was accessible after uninstalling the fireplace and a control box panel. After nine months of looking and two techs unsuccessful attempts to find it, it was repaired. The solar panel installer did agree to pay for the factory repair.

Be careful when drilling blind holes, there are wires in very unexpected places.

The attached picture is from the Service Center replacing a roof. The wiring tucked away in the roof and walls is amazing. I was advised that there is no standard wiring diagram when a coach is built due to the variation of equipment/models etc. Each coach is essentially hand built. Luckily the electrician that worked on my coach was experienced enough to be able to track the wire down quickly.

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpg
    IMG_1466.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 23
Good point @JoeHogan makes.

Understand the benefit if coach has solar of having soft start. @TJ&LadyDi mentions he was told easier on compressor when installed at S&B. What other advantages are there?

If you're on 30A service you will benefit. I can run both AC's without triggering EMS typically due to soft starts. What triggers the EMS load shedding is often the large amp spike when an A/C starts. This doesn't happen with soft starts.

Last edited:
If you're on 30A service you will benefit. I can run both AC's without triggering EMS typically due to soft starts. What triggers the EMS load shedding is often the large amp spike when an A/C starts. This doesn't happen with soft starts.

I thought the Ventana was 50 amp.

It is but if you're at a CG such as a state park where 30A is common it helps. I did a lot of SP's coming west from VA to AZ.

Latest resources

Back