Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

A how to: Brake controller install in Tesla model Y. Tekonsha P3. Easy peasy.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Voyageurs

RVF Expert
Hi folks. I have been meaning to put this up for a bit. This is a how to on installing a brake controller in a Tesla model Y although I think it’s the same for a model X.

We are used to a Tekonsha so We went with the P3 this time.

You will need the pigtail from Tesla. 5 bucks. Mating it up to the Tekonsha wiring harness is not straight forward as the colours don’t match. Just use my pic and match from there. The only wires that match are blue to blue. 😊

The connector is behind the carpeted kick panel on the left. Use a plastic tool and pull back the panel. You’ll see the little white connector tied off way down on the bottom. Connect the harness and coil up the excess behind the panel.

Mount the P3 with the wide provided bracket. You can see where we put ours. Two small screws.

Connect the controller harness to the back of the controller and you are good to go. You can connect it earlier as well as it’s kind of hard to see.

Here are some pics. You might have to orient them a bit. I suck at that. Hope this is useful for somebody in the future.

Cheers.
57AD1DB3-77F3-4863-9912-AF4264D03475.jpeg

563E3060-966A-4452-8B55-9510EFC66528.jpeg

7385428E-4B70-4941-8689-53A5173E4088.jpeg

71495F8D-D8E7-4361-B06F-35AC2FCAA161.jpeg

You can see the controller thru the left side of the steering wheel. Easy to reach for corrective action.
F40A203C-47B8-46B2-ABFC-72E38080EBB8.jpeg

Can you flat tow (dinghy towing) a Tesla? If not, what is the purpose of the brake controller.

Latest resources

Back