Cornerstone
RV Length
Chassis
FL
Engine
Cummins
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler
I had a full wall slide failure on my 23 DS and I Have been helping Rustycoach with his 20 DS
It turns out he had the same failure as mine. There is a part referred to as the Revolver gear, it’s a plastic wheel that has pins in it ( looks like a revolver with bullets)
This seems to be happening more frequently on newer units.
Here is my PSA: a Newmar technician had said that one of the things you should avoid is putting the FWS partially out, and then returning it in without having fully extended it. This change in direction creates a surge of pressure that the synchronizing cylinder can’t keep up with when it starts to move that puts undue stress, particularly on these revolver gears. They did not say this was absolutely the cause but could be a contributing factor.

Last edited:
The revolver

Attachments

• IMG_3071.jpeg
    IMG_3071.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3070.jpeg
    IMG_3070.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
AP59900_Page_2.png

For those that are interested, here is a drawing showing the Pinion gear that is known as the Revolver. There is an anchor pin that is threaded at one end into the end of the hydraulic cylinder. Mine was loose and it was ripped out of the threaded boss and destroyed. It destroyed the cylinder and the pinion. I am working with HWH on a replacement plan. There is no easy way to access this to lubricate it. This is a cool machine but from an engineering stand point it could use some beefing up. If they do not replace this under warranty, I will use my resources to design in a more robust pinion and attach.

View attachment 23307
For those that are interested, here is a drawing showing the Pinion gear that is known as the Revolver. There is an anchor pin that is threaded at one end into the end of the hydraulic cylinder. Mine was loose and it was ripped out of the threaded boss and destroyed. It destroyed the cylinder and the pinion. I am working with HWH on a replacement plan. There is no easy way to access this to lubricate it. This is a cool machine but from an engineering stand point it could use some beefing up. If they do not replace this under warranty, I will use my resources to design in a more robust pinion and attach.
Thank you for this, did it include a legend

I’m out and haven’t seen this yet want you to have it

I’m out and haven’t seen this yet want you to have it
Wow! what a job! did your guys have to assemble yours or did it come assembled? Thanks for the share. This should scare the crap out of anyone with one of these systems. The drawing I provided shows some obsolete parts as though they have been replaced with new heavy duty parts. I think I may machine an aluminum pinion. I hope Frank can shed some light on what causes these failures. I am waiting for a call back from him.

Wow! what a job! did your guys have to assemble yours or did it come assembled? Thanks for the share. This should scare the crap out of anyone with one of these systems. The drawing I provided shows some obsolete parts as though they have been replaced with new heavy duty parts. I think I may machine an aluminum pinion. I hope Frank can shed some light on what causes these failures. I am waiting for a call back from him.
Mine came as a complete unit and the techs said it was surprisingly easy to change vs repair

Latest resources

Back