Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins ISL450
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
I have been thinking about adding a small amount of solar to our Dutch Star. On our recent trip, we met up with friends who also were traveling in their Dutch Star. They had experienced a minor problem that required the coach to be left for repair for a couple of days. They were not able to plug it in, but had added a small amount of solar, just enough to keep the refrigerator running, and save all their food. That was kind of a wake-up call for me. I would appreciate any thoughts, advice. We are not interested in a huge system, as we are usually hooked up. Thanks, Judy D

When I started out I was in an open storage lot with no power and wanted to keep the frig running (hate loading/unloading it) and for other reasons but that was primary, secondary as you mention for when it's in service without power. I highly recommend it and AMSolar should be in your neck of the woods that could help you out.

Follow-up: If you think of the times over your years of DS ownership, how many times has this been a problem? Does it justify spending a lot on solar? Or is it something you want beyond a rare maintenance visit that doesn't have power (you still have generator with AGS). I'm not sure what I would do on my next coach.

Follow-up: If you think of the times over your years of DS ownership, how many times has this been a problem? Does it justify spending a lot on solar? Or is it something you want beyond a rare maintenance visit that doesn't have power (you still have generator with AGS). I'm not sure what I would do on my next coach.
Food for thought Neal. Thanks, Judy

If you just want to dabble a little in solar panels without spending a ton of money, we went with a Harbor Freight kit. It was maybe $170.00 and came with a no frills charge controller panel and four solar panels at 25 watts per panel. It is working very well and with a slightly larger trailer battery, we are very pleased with this setup.

Installation is simple because its all DC power, very straightforward. With the purchase of a higher capacity charge controller panel, you could expand this system with additional panels. Or add a bigger battery or more batteries.

Rick

Latest resources

Back