Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Aftermarket 360 Around-vehicle Monitoring Systems - Recent Experience or Feedback

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

DaveW-NBS

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Bay Star
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
There are several older threads around, but wondered if anyone has had any recent experience with installing (or having one installed) either a Backeye-360 or a InView-360HD Around-the-vehicle Monitoring System.

Interested in the quality of the images, and the responsiveness of the system when changing directions (forward to reverse, left or right, etc).

Also curious with install experiences - on the side facing cameras how did you work around slide-outs and awnings (I guess I could really ask how they handle this on the factory installed systems, like the Omnivision system on a Newmar for example). And how did you rout wires (drill through side walls? or rout up and over onto the roof?)

I have the 360 system on my SUV and really like it - I don't want to ignite a firestorm conversation on driving without technology/"use your mirrors" - I happen to like technology!

Thanks in advance........

I don’t have experience with the systems you mention, but I did install a cheap no brand system on my 98 Monaco diplomat, 4 cameras and a 7” color monitor (110 bucks !). My factory rear camera failed, the only one it had, and with limited driving experience in a 38” class a I decided on side cameras also. Side cameras are mounted on the belt line of the nose cap about 12” behind the head lights with wiring going through the floor board under the center console, easy.
The rear camera was more difficult, the existing wire was not compatible with the new camera so I had to run a new one I couldn’t find a route between the inner and outer wall of the rear cap, ended up removing an access panel in the top cabinet of the bedroom and going through the back corner of the side cabinet an back out the bottom of the coach. From there it was a long crawl on my back to the front , tie wrapping the wire along the frame to the access under the center console, monitor is mounted to the right side of the dash. The low mounting points of the front camera allows it to see beneath the level of the awning mounts.
The images are clear but the fish eye lenses on the side cameras does not give any perspective on distance of what you see, the rear camera has a 180 degree view which is great, but has no distance marker lines like more expensive systems do, also, all of the cameras are useless at night, all you see is headlight glare so I turn the off. Again, this might not be a problem with a more expensive or factory install.
To sum it up, I have a rear camera that works great, side camera view on these won’t keep you from cutting something to close( gas pump pole!) I like having them but properly adjusted mirrors are my main go to.

Latest resources

Back