Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Kenneth

RVF Newbee
I’m new. I have a 2020 cougar keystone 5 th wheel. I would like to install a second air conditioner in the bedroom. I’m prewired and have the vent there already. My local rv dealer wants $1800 to install a dometic roof air conditioner I can buy the unit for under $700 Can I install it myself. Thanks Ken

Depends on how handy you are. Many have installed the units themselves into existing air vents which are typically 14" x 14". If you decide to do it your self, get started before it gets too hot & make sure you have everything you need. It will also help to have two people (one on the roof & one inside) when securing the unit to the roof.

If it’s prewired. Which it is should there also be wiring ran to connect to my furrion control. Thanks Ken

I removed mine to replace a gasket on my Seneca. The job is not that hard.

however, cutting my roof Would make me cringe. Be sure you have a friend to help you get it up there. I am a pretty healthy 42 year old. And it would have been awkward for me to toss that on my shoulder up a ladder. They have some weight to them.
I would also want to know what duct work will be there. most Are crap from the factory so if it’s there. It probably needs repairs and upgrades that you can do while apart.

at the end of the day. if you trust the dealer. My personal sanity and a Saturday spent with my girls would be worth the 1200 dollar difference.

bit of you’re mechanical. And have the proper tools. I wouldn’t be afraid of it.

I’m new. I have a 2020 cougar keystone 5 th wheel. I would like to install a second air conditioner in the bedroom. I’m prewired and have the vent there already. My local rv dealer wants $1800 to install a dometic roof air conditioner I can buy the unit for under $700 Can I install it myself. Thanks Ken
In what city to you live in? I have a great deal on a:
Koldfront - 18,500 BTU - Window Air Conditioner - 4.8 kW Electric Heat - 220V
Model: WAC18001W

Latest resources

Back