Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Jdub62

RVF Regular
Morning new to C class we have had 5th wheels, travel trailers when you’re cruising down the road are you using the cab air conditioner or using the coaches a/c?? We have a 14 Minnie Winnie 32ft. Just wondering what the average is if any. Thanks I’m sure I’ll have more questions in the future.
Hahaha

In our Class A, we run the generator when driving in order to keep the refrigerator and both a/c units going.
The cab air will not cool your rig if it’s hot outside.

Morning new to C class we have had 5th wheels, travel trailers when you’re cruising down the road are you using the cab air conditioner or using the coaches a/c?? We have a 14 Minnie Winnie 32ft. Just wondering what the average is if any. Thanks I’m sure I’ll have more questions in the future.
Hahaha
We run our roof air in our small class A. Cab air doesn't help much and, as a bonus, our rig is cool when we reach our destination. As for fuel consumption differences, it doubt if it makes that much.

Darrell

with our first coach, we didn’t know that we could run the generator while driving - and cab air was pitiful, and could only do so much. So I put up black shower curtains on a tension rod (black because they weren’t visible from outside the coach, looked better)…dividing the cab from the house and used cab air.
Now we have a Ventanna and have found the cab air to be plenty adequate.
I can’t use shower curtains behind the seats in the Ventana anyhow because of the way it’s designed. But we still run the generator and one house AC for the refrigerator. We do have a three-way refrigerator, but we prefer to use the generator.

Do you get any better fuel mileage and I would think.
Thanks
No. I've been known to run the dash a/c, too when the sun starts baking me through the windshield.
No noticeable fuel consumption difference.

Do you get any better fuel mileage and I would think.
Thanks
The answer is no! We must not forget a generator large enough to run the AC sips roughly 1/2 gallons an hour from you fuel tank.

Also remember that a dash air consumes about 35hp. My old coach has a 325 hp Cummins diesel, so losing 35hp is quite a whack. I notice the burden when taking off and trying to get up to highway speed. If it's on it really hurts at low speed. If I turn it off, it has much more pep. Now if you have one of the 605hp diesels, they probably don't feel it.

Also remember that a dash air consumes about 35hp. My old coach has a 325 hp Cummins diesel, so losing 35hp is quite a whack. I notice the burden when taking off and trying to get up to highway speed. If it's on it really hurts at low speed. If I turn it off, it has much more pep. Now if you have one of the 605hp diesels, they probably don't feel it.
No. A vehicle air conditioner consumes 5-10 hp tops.
Maybe a diesel that has an a/c intended for a MH is big enough to use 35 hp, but nothing else would.

Latest resources

Back