Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Alaska - Tow vehicle rock guard needed?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rich-MLsRV

RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
Folks,

I am wondering when folks traveled to Alaska have they protected their tow vehicle with a rock guard? I’ve heard the roads can be rocky and you risk chipping the front of the tow vehicle when traveling to/from and around Alaska. Do rock guards work?

Etrailer lists several rock guards. Is there a rock guard you recommend?

Thanks

Last edited:
Paging the one and only @NWIP - Alaska tour guide in chief.

Yes there is some gravel on many sections of the road, some from construction and they spend all summer cleaning up the bridges from the winter.

First we removed the Newmar billboard and stored it, I did reinstall upon returning to lower 48. I have Roadmaster tow bar setup and have the Tow Defender which works well. Just understand that the facia below will not be protected no matter what brand you go with. On my Colorado it is plastic and it did get pitted but easily replaceable should I chose.

I expected I would crack a windshield (toad) on the trip but it survived. Biggest danger is from the oncoming traffic throwing rocks up, twice in a 300 mile section after 4500 miles north of the border motorhome windshield took hits.

Considering we had no other issues, successful trip and planning on returning next summer.

Yes there is some gravel on many sections of the road, some from construction and they spend all summer cleaning up the bridges from the winter.

First we removed the Newmar billboard and stored it, I did reinstall upon returning to lower 48. I have Roadmaster tow bar setup and have the Tow Defender which works well. Just understand that the facia below will not be protected no matter what brand you go with. On my Colorado it is plastic and it did get pitted but easily replaceable should I chose.

I expected I would crack a windshield (toad) on the trip but it survived. Biggest danger is from the oncoming traffic throwing rocks up, twice in a 300 mile section after 4500 miles north of the border motorhome windshield took hits.

Considering we had no other issues, successful trip and planning on returning next summer.
Thanks for your thoughts.

I am curious why you removed the Newmar billboard? Was it because it’s not needed with the Tow Defender installed?

thanks

I heard lots of discussions with them dragging and kicking up rock. I had adjusted mine for better clearance but decided to just remove prior to the trip as a safety precaution. I did notice less debris on top of the defender with it removed not that any of it would cause any damage. I plan on removing it again prior to heading north from Florida.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back