Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Bigdee183

RVF Regular
What are the pros and cons to all aluminum? All fiberglass? or combination? Particularly on small trailers under 3500#. I'm sure there is some flex and over time will cause things to loosen up causing leaks or other issues. Which seems to last the longest?

The materials aren't always as important as the design/construction quality. For example you see Airstream trailers from the 40's and 50's still on the road, a cheap TT with a thin aluminum skin isn't likely to last that long.

You can't always go by materials alone...

The materials aren't always as important as the design/construction quality. For example you see Airstream trailers from the 40's and 50's still on the road, a cheap TT with a thin aluminum skin isn't likely to last that long.

You can't always go by materials alone...
Most anything built back in the mid 1900's was built like a tank and would last forever but we all know that things are built a lot cheaper these days. Even higher end stuff isnt built to last. Most people get tired of something after 3-5 years and buy something else so manufacturers only build things to last that long.

That's subjective!
However I am partial to aluminum. The plastic RVs I have are retired, and the aluminum trailer 10 or more years there senior I use today.

Latest resources

Back