Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40’
TOW/TOAD
Jeep JKU
20200202_080314.jpg

It seems like batteries always leak acid when they get low...and then they die. It would be nice if they could die a dignified death and kep thier contents within... Instead...we have to make it a routine to replace them before they spill themselves into our wall safe, remotes, etc...

I made a list this year...and was flabbergasted by how many batteries we have.

Didn't put the Chassis and House batteries on the list yet...

Yeah, batteries everywhere, flashlights, TPMS, remotes, smoke detectors....hard to keep up with!

Yes, you have to be proactive changing out batteries before they leak. Makes a mess of electronics. Prior to Gillette buying out Duracell, I was employed there at headquarters in CT. Was a great company to work for when I was there. We developed the 20 pack (which I buy) and other innovations. Had a great time there.

Interesting note, a 27A or A27 battery is a stack of button cells wrap in effectively shrink wrap. Fascinating design to up the voltage to 12v in a small package.

It’s a cute little thing. I haven’t had too many button cells leak. Standard AA, AAA, C, D...they seem designed to self destruct. I hope, one day, some engineer will find a way to make them less prone to show their destructive ways...

The leakage of electrolyte is a big deal for manufacturers, at least it was for Duracell. Duracell had different cell construction by geographic regions around the world. During the 1980s -90s Duracell went with a one worldwide design which allowed for economy of scale in production. Duracell took the best design and adapted it for the world market, or atleast by continent.

There was at the time a consolidated line for AA, one for AAA, etc. in the US rather than 6-8-12 plants scattered around the US. The one world wide can and seal design was located in the USA, and maybe still is, located in a Right to Work State with laws that were conducive to manufacturing. This was Cleveland TN.
Simple math.

There is a reason for the premium you pay for a battery from the industry leaders; Duracell, Panasonic, Energizer, etc. Recently I like Amazon store brand. If you look closely at the seals you can determine which manufacturer is the private brand manufacturer. The deep discount brands are more prone to failure for no apparent reason but these all have a life expectancy.

Latest resources

Back