Forest River
RV Model
Salem FSX 270RTK-X
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2022 Ford Expedition Timberline
Fulltimer
Yes
Generally by February or March we will have our whole travel year planned out. We may not have it fine tuned down to the day, but we know about what area of the country we will be in each month at least. That was impossible in 2020. Now 2021 is looking like it might be slightly better but not perfect yet.

We truly anticipate summer unrest in many of our major cities, especially NY, DC, and for sure Chicago. So for the second year we will have to skip the eastern seaboard that we so much want to visit. We will go as far west as Colorado before dipping down into NM. Then we may either take a slow southern route through TX and on to Florida or maybe cut up through AR and stay in TN before coming back down to Florida around the end of September or first of October. Storms developing in the gulf is always what determines when we head into Florida that time of year.

Even though we will be pretty much revisiting the same areas as a few years ago it will feel a little different. I suspect diesel fuel prices will continue to climb and probably be around $3.60 to $3.80 per gallon. In addition we fully expect demonstrations and unrest even in some of the states we are traveling to, so we will be paying close attention to local news feeds while traveling this year. And of course this will be our first full year traveling after transitioning from a DP to our fiver toy hauler.

Last year (and this year so far) my wife and I have had zero issues traveling where ever we decided. I have even gone though the middle of Houston. The only change in plans was not getting to go to the four corners area. We don't plan on staying near any large city, so I anticipate no problems. Even if there are some, we just go another direction. We don't have anything planned except for the summer in Minnesota..........

We have talked to a couple folks since leaving Florida that didn't travel last year but are heading west this summer. Hoping things are returning to "normal" in the RVing world.

We haven't had any problems last yr or this one so far. Did PA and south along the coast this fall and winter all the way to the Keys. Up the western coast of Florida into the Pan Handle then AL, TN, Bourbon Trail a bit in West VA back to Upstate NY than West to Colorado Springs to TX next winter.

We haven't had any problems last yr or this one so far. Did PA and south along the coast this fall and winter all the way to the Keys. Up the western coast of Florida into the Pan Handle then AL, TN, Bourbon Trail a bit in West VA back to Upstate NY than West to Colorado Springs to TX next winter.
We could probably get by with doing the eastern seaboard this summer, but I certainly don't want to visit DC when there are barricades up around the capitol buildings, or tour NY and take a chance with everything that has occurred there recently with crime rates. It just "feels" like a good year to stay west and south as a full timer to us.

Actually the unrest has already started in several major cities after the recent killing of the 20 year old Wright up in MN by the female officer. Of course along with violent demonstrations they are looting. As the weather warms in our major northern cities we will no doubt see much more of this type of thing for 2021.

I would urge any traveling RVer, not just full time RVers, to constantly monitor the local news feeds of where they are currently at or where they are headed to next.

All has been good here..... we don't visit the big cities and thus far all has been good.

We plan on leaving mid-May for a trip out West. All I know is Tucson, Vegas and Denver are the planned destinations.

We havent even looked at accommodations. Between working on the coach and my sciatic nerve issues, trip planning hasnt made it to the top of the list yet.

FL-Joe, if you do visit DC I highly recommend taking a Segway tour. Great way to see the area and they are very easy to use.

Latest resources

Back