• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Another RV office setup

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I'm using a PC tower as you can see the white under the left edge of the right side monitor. However, I have used the Dell laptop in the past (XPS 17 as you know) and it works well and I need to start using that instead of the monster tower. I just like having "more power" on the tower with all of my developer stuff but quite frankly I've never had an issue or hold back with the Dell. I do have the Dell dock station and it works well, it's an added and unnecessary expense I believe but it's also an option.

You have options with the laptop and in fact it can also serve as an additional monitor such as left of the main. You can simply connect a USB C port on your dell to a cable that connects to the monitor. HDMI, Displayport or if your monitor has USB C ports as mine do, that works too. So you can go USB C to an USB C input, or USB C to HDMI or DisplayPort cable. Here is what I use for monitors and cable suggestions for you:

LG 27 inch monitor with USB-C (and HDMI, DisplayPort). I love these monitors, I have probably a half dozen of these between two office setups.

USB C to DisplayPort cable

USB C to HDMI cable

USB C to C cable

My favorite mouse

My favorite keyboard mini or full size

Last edited:
Thank you @Neal for that detailed explanation and the associated links.

Last edited:
Does the LG 27 inch monitor with USB-C connect directly to the laptop via the display port cable? Or do I need a docking station between them? And if I'm going to run two of these monitors, do I:
  • run two display port cables from the laptop, each one to a separate monitor, or
  • one display port cable into a docking station and then individual display port cables into the monitors, or
  • can I run one display port cable from the laptop to the monitor and then daisy chain the monitors?

I edited my post of parts to add a USB C to C cable. If you have a monitor such as I linked and use that has a USB C "thunderbolt" port you can also go that path, C to C. I use both a Macbook Pro and Windows machine so I use USB C from the Mac and C to DisplayPort for Windows.

So you will plug your power adapter into one USB C port and I think you have 4 x USB C ports on your laptop (not near mine) so you plug your desired cables into USB C ports and connect to monitors. One port per monitor.

If you need to expand USB ports I also use these:

Latest resources

Back