Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

eculuke

RVF Newbee
Sorry everybody for starting another thread as it appears there are hundreds that all say varying things. Im hoping to get some help in context of my truck.We are looking at travel trailers with bunkhouse. I just purchased my first truck in my lifetime (2020 Ford F150 XLT). So pretty new to this towing capacity concept. Im am hoping to get advice on what the max weight travel trailer I can tow safely from people with more experience than me. It would be for a family of 4 (my wife and I and 2 small kids (likely well under 500 pounds). 80% of what we will be doing is east coast, more flat highways to the beach. Here are all the specs I could find. The towing page in the Manual says Max GCWR 12600.

Attachments

• IMG_4396.jpg
    IMG_4396.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4393.jpg
    IMG_4393.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4394.jpg
    IMG_4394.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4395.jpg
    IMG_4395.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 40
The first thing I see is your CCC (cargo carrying capacity) is 1584 pounds. Add the weight of you, your wife, your kids, and any other misc. items you plan on carrying in the truck. Subtract that from the 1584 pounds and that would be the tongue weight your truck can carry. Also, DO NOT use the 'dry weight' of the trailer. That is the weight even before you add a battery, propane, water, etc. You will never tow it at the dry weight. Instead look at the trailer GVW. A good way to guess the proper trailer weight is to figure 18% of the weight is going to be tongue weight going on the truck. So, as an example IF you and your family with everything else weighs 500 pounds, you subtract that from 1584 pounds (CCC) and that leaves you with 1084 pounds max tongue weight. Since the 1000 pound tongue weight is 18% that would give you a trailer Gross Vehicle Weight of 5,555 pounds. If you look in your manual there is probably a note about the frontal area of the trailer you intend to tow.

Here a guess... I would keep it under 7,000 pounds and no more than 28 feet.

You're adding approximately 750 lbs. to the truck. You have 834 lbs. of payload capacity. Travel trailers typically have 10% - 15% tongue weight which gives you a maximum loaded camper weight of 5,560 - 8,340 lbs.

Latest resources

Back