Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Anyone Pull a Car Hauler/Enclosed Trailer?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Fish

RVF Expert
RV Year
RV Make
Monaco Camelot
RV Model
42PDQ
RV Length
43 ft
Chassis
Roadmaster RR10S
Engine
Cummins 400 ISL
TOW/TOAD
2010 Ext. Cab Silverado 4x4
Our former business has a 24 ft US Cargo enclosed car hauler. Since Dad died a few years ago Mom's been trying to clean up the shop property, so I went down and moved it out of everyone's way so they can haul off junk and bush hog. He used it to haul his jeep on elk hunting trips behind his old motorhome, I think it was a 2003 Itasca pusher. Having a hard time reading or even finding id plates on it but best I can tell it's rated at 10,000 and that's also the towing capacity of my Camelot.

Leaky roof. Needs new ceiling. I noticed it's insulated with 1.5 inch styrofoam. Floor looks to be in good shape. Son said he wanted it but he's changed his mind because of lost title and the work it needs, guess I'll take it. Needs tires, most of them rolled halfway off the rim when I moved it. It needs work but it's too nice to just give to these low ballers.

How much fuel mileages does something like this cost you people that are using them?

I haul a 8.5 x 14 (in reality about 18ft long) with no increased fuel consumption. It tucks in nicely behind the MH. I really don't even notice that it's back there when driving.
Trailer loaded with bikes is around 4700 lbs.

There are many variables that will factor into the impact a trailer will make on fuel economy - so there is not a single answer for this.

Towing a 10k trailer with a gas engine pickup (that is tuned to get 25mpg cruising the highway) will most likely see a significant change in fuel efficiency, likely cutting it in half or more. But towing with a large diesel engine powered motorhome, weighing in at 45,000 lbs, who gets 7-8 mpg may not even notice a change.

We tow a trailer that is a hybrid and we like it. Does take a little extra space and require more planning.

My guess without a lot of specific info would be less than 1mpg. I used to pull a custom built enclosed trailer same height as the coach with a side by side in it with a B+ and that’s about all it cost me. Also that 10k rating is probably just to keep it from being rated as commercial. I’ve had a few 9,999lb rated utility and equipment trailers over the years.

We towed an enclosed trailer that was titled as a 24' V-nose enclosed. It held our Mini Cooper and Harley. At the time we were towing with a 43' Newmar DP. I'm guessing it cost around 1mpg depending on what part of the country we were towing in.

The biggest issue we had to get used to was the total length. My 24' was slightly longer due to the V-nose, plus it had an extended tongue. When attached to my DP I was over 75' long, which was longer than 90% of the commercial traffic out there. It made it difficult at times in smaller rest area parking spots plus some campgrounds.

I was just down there doing something with the motorhome so I measured the trailer box again.
This time I got 24 ft 8 one time and 25 ft another time measuring by myself.
The tongue is 5 ft long from front of box.
Guess I'm not really sure what I have but I'll still call if 24 ft.

So 30 ft long overall. For sure longer than pulling my ext cab silverado.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back