Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
If you're an iPhone/iPad user as I am, Apple has something called an AirTag. You've probably heard of them as they can be controversial. They are essentially tracking devices. I didn't care about them until someone suggested putting one on your dog's collar. So I bought a 4 pack and figured I'd give it a try. I bought this AirTag holder that works on dog collars and Elli has been wearing one for 2-3 months now. If she ever got away or stolen it may be a means to help find her.

But let's talk about some other uses. I put one in my eBikes bike bag which is locked into its holder. I could also use double sided tape and put one under the seat or some obscure location. It could help track the bike if stolen. But there is yet another reason, helping FIND your bike such as I used it while at EAA AirVenture. In typical fashion I can never find my bike at this event and day one I sure enough had to use this AirTag to find my bike! A few days in I figured out the lay of the land and all was good but I can tell you this thing is nice to have AND it's accurate! Anything you want to track or prevent losing you can attach an AirTag to it. It sounds like a no no but there is value and I believe in these things. Put it in a purse, wallet, backpack, etc. I'm a believer. It works with the "Find My" app in iOS on Apple devices.

Single:

4-pack:

AirTag holder for dog collar:

For a bike, probably useless. In big cities, for instance, that bike is dissembled and dispersed, within a few hours of it being stolen. And the smart operations likely move the disassembly location around, for that reason. secondly, it seems that police in these places don't care about such small crimes. Strange world.

I take my pedal bike into the grocery stores, hardware stores,m take out restaurants (if there is room). Other than the campground (chained to the picnic table and covered) and at home ( double chained to the bike rack, including the tires), I do not leave it out.

History: I donated two bikes to thieves in my youth; no intention of a repeat, if I can help it. Having grown up in the hood, I generally don't let any of the items you mentioned out of my site.

yes, I misplace my phone at home a lot, but it is good brain exercise to find it. No tracking for me.
Glad you find them helpful though, and I appreciate you sharing.

Absolutely phenomenal tech. So appreciative and not at all paranoid. After all, everyone else seems to easily get ahold of my data, so why should I be afraid of using a tracking device!? 😂

I slip one into my travel case that has my laptop and other valuable items. It’s not just an anti theft device but also a “hey, stupid…you forgot to bring your computer with you” whenever I leave!

Gun cases, Coach keys, wife 😝, you name it…let your imagination run wild!!

I just used one to monitor my coach while in storage and recently while at the dealership. There always seem to be an update each day, until everyone goes home for the day. You can actually see when it was moved from the front to the back of the lot.

I got one just to experiment, they are cheap and when used properly are a useful piece of tech. Wish they had a temp reading tho, then could use it for power outages without wifi.

My son in law just told me that, as a result of privacy concerns, monitoring ceases when the AirTag is away from your iPhone for a period of time. This makes no sense to me, so I’m gonna research it!

Hmmmm. Interesting.
So…the range is short..like only a few hundred feet at the most. But they CAN use other iPhones to send their location. WILD!

But, here’s the catch…they are currently set to a 3-day limit of being away from their paired device.

Therefore, for long term/long distance monitoring…not a viable device.

Still love them for other things as intended…like leaving something behind.

This is just my recent experience. The air tag I placed in my motorhome was in storage 35miles from home for two weeks with no loss of tracking. When I had the coach at the dealership for service it was 150 miles from home and still had tracking every day for two weeks.

However, tracking is dependent on someone with an iphone walking within 15-30 feet of the air tag (according to Apple).

I did not have it set for alerting my phone when it was separated from me as someone would for say a lost backpack.

And Apple says if it is separated from the iphone it is set to it will chirp. So the dealership might have heard that but if so they didn’t mention it. Hope they didn’t try finding the mystery chirp as if it was a malfunction.

I bought mine from Amazon so maybe it is an older version but it was sealed and had the battery pull tab like normal.

I was surprised how well it worked but can see how Apple may push an update to iphones that limit the time.

So maybe in a few days/weeks the battery will die and so will this experiment. But it is interesting tech when used appropriately.

I thought the pics would have date stamps but they don’t.
Left pic July 20, right pic July 26.

Regards

Attachments

• 53EEB2F4-EEBE-4580-8F7C-B22333A20E0F.jpeg
    53EEB2F4-EEBE-4580-8F7C-B22333A20E0F.jpeg
    635.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 370E53B6-4514-4A4A-939D-206DE2083355.jpeg
    370E53B6-4514-4A4A-939D-206DE2083355.jpeg
    743.8 KB · Views: 9
I originally had the AirTag in my bike bag but as the bag is stowed during travel and when the bike is not yet in use I figured I need to put the Airtag on the bike itself. I used VHB double-sided tape and attached it under the bike seat and then I used my black duct tape to put over top of that to not only hide it but further protect it from coming off. Definitely a better location for security as it's always on the bike now.

I originally had the AirTag in my bike bag but as the bag is stowed during travel and when the bike is not yet in use I figured I need to put the Airtag on the bike itself. I used VHB double-sided tape and attached it under the bike seat and then I used my black duct tape to put over top of that to not only hide it but further protect it from coming off. Definitely a better location for security as it's always on the bike now.
Neal,

I bought a set of these, knowing Pelican would be good stuff. I was right! Put the cases on our scooters! 🛴👍

I got a combo pack:

This is a 4-pack:

Another good use for an AirTag is on my OneWheel as there is no good way that I know of to secure that thing. Big campground I'm at now is a great place to use the OneWheel to get to food, etc. But you have to leave it outside and anyone could ride off with it. I'd probably find them in the hospital but hey, I'll at least be able to track my OneWheel.

Latest resources

Back