Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Are RV holding tank additives a gimmick?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I believe they are! Up until about 2 months ago I always used something in the black tank and sometimes put happy camper in the gray. I used to use those blue die packs before I installed sani-con, some don't like the odor, I much preferred seeing blue instead of, well, you know. Anyways since I did my first extended stay recently of about 2 months (with a 1 week break in the middle for Cummins) I stopped putting holding tank additive in. I've had ZERO odor in my coach from either black or gray. Now I do put stuff in when I want to intentionally clean them such as Dove, Pine Sol, Cascade, or Happy Camper Extreme cleaner but this is now only when I'm deliberately doing a cleaning such as add the stuff, fill the tank with water to a certain level, drive to next stop, dump/rinse.

My opinion now is that these additives are worthless and a gimmick. What's your opinion on additives? Think they do anything?

We have not been big users of chemical additives to the holding tanks, except...as you stated...when we want to clean the tanks. Many RV years ago, a friend told me he dumped a pint of household ammonia into his holding tanks on his last travel leg home to clean the tank, then dumped and rinsed for a good cleaning. I have done that, on occasion, as well as having used Dawn dish soap and Happy camper. They all seemed to work pretty well.

As you've said, we don't seem to notice any odor problems, so don't use the scented RV products.

TJ

I use the "blue" stuff from Walmart and always have in my black. Not sure if it helps anything or not. I have had good luck with RV black tanks since 2011 so I probably won't stop using it.

Prior to travel days I dissolve two packets of OxyKem in each holding tank so they get a good cleaning. I know that works because when I set up at the next stop and open the gray it almost looks like black water flowing out sometimes!

I've always felt that most tank odors actually come from your gray and not your black.

We use happy camper if we leave the coach for more than a few days. I will do the same as others occasionally on travel days. Haven’t encountered any problems or smells since we went full time.

In my opinion, if you only flush the 3Ps, Pee, Poop and limited camper grade toilet Paper, flush the black tank before storage, or monthly if on the road, you should not need any additives. Be sure the tank vents are clear. Over the last 20k miles this is our routine. Never have any issue with unpleasant odor.
Also I keep some 'clean' water in the tanks when stored.

I only pee in the RV toilet. No TP, no #2. I use Blue Power to keep the odor down in both tanks, maybe every 2-3 tank fulls. It helps keep the odor down. I guess I have very strong smelling urine. Essentially all of my stays are at least on mont, so it is difficult to keep the sensors clean. I have tried Happy camper, Blue Power, RV digest it, Aqua Chem, etc. Nothing works while stationary, very well. On travel days, 1/2 cup of Dawn, and some watter softener in 13 tank of water, ( grey and black) and dump and rinse at next destination and all is well.

Wow, that is a novel approach. I don’t use any additives, short of samples I have received at shows. Have never had a problem. My toilets are “full use”! ?

We have a boat and the holding tanks use sea water which can acerbate the smell and a good dose of vinegar does the trick. We use it it our holding tank on the trailer as well and we have never had a problem. Also we flush the tanks fairly often. We don't put TP in the boat tank at all and have gone back and forth about it's use on the RV.

Latest resources

Back