Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I know several here do the Campground host thing, feel free to add your experiences.

We're embarking on our first camp hosting experience this April at a Virginia State Park. Opting for a location close to home during the off-season seemed like the perfect way to ease into the role.

We had 3 requirements:
1. We don't clean toilets. Most VA state parks have a crew to do that stuff.
2. Full hook-ups. Most VA state parks provide full hook-ups.
3. A golf cart. Again, most VA state parks provide a golf cart.

It should be noted that Vince had a “job” at a campground, which is different than “volunteering” at a campground. Vince was working minimum wage job, with the benefit of getting “perks”, which in his case, was a free site.

When someone volunteers at a campground, there is usually no pay. The relationship offers a mutual benefit for both parties where both parties swap the assets that they have. The campground gets some help, and the volunteer gets a free site, power, water, use of the laundry room, etc. If there is some supplemental pay, it’s general not much.

But that aside, Vince did bring up some of the interesting pros/cons of working at a campground.

Been looking at this gig, and with Vista that Vince worked for. They manage campgrounds here in Tenn along the river. I applied to one in Oregon, Maintenance job as the job description had my picture next to it. Have not heard back, thats ok as I was testing the waters and planning a trip to Maine this summer.

We camp hosted for three and a half seasons (mid April to mid October) at a Provincial Park located near Banff Alberta. The first three years were wonderful. We were paid a small salary plus given a full serviced site. We met folks from all over the continent. Many from Europe and some from Asia. As Vince stated, all was not roses. We encountered a few problems and there were some where we had to call in Mister Ranger Sir to sort out. The odd time we would have someone sneak in late at night and try for a free stay too. I am an early riser so my first trip through the park was usually around 6:00 AM. I'm pretty sure I caught them all. For the most part, our campers were well behaved and It was a pretty nice gig until COVID. You are all aware that folks had very little in the way of entertainment during the lock down. But then it was discovered that one could go camping! The world hit the wilderness but so many of the new visitors had no idea what camping was all about. I won't abuse your senses with the horror stories we could tell. We thought we were pretty easy going people but there came a time where we just gave up and we handed in our notice. I'm sure by now those folks that didn't have a clue about respecting the park, the facilities and their fellow campers will have learned the ropes so I can highly recommend the job again.

Once we have completed our bucket lists I suspect we will give it a go again. Canadian summers in the mountains are nice and we love wintering in the Arizona desert.

Darrell

Darrell

The odd time we would have someone sneak in late at night and try for a free stay too.
Wow, but not surprised. When I was staying in Page, AZ (Lake Powell) for New Years (yeah, I don't get it either) there was a Van there that kept moving sites for some odd reason. I think they were there without paying. Not hard to spot when there were all 3 of us staying there, don't know why the other two were as stupid as me with frozen pipes, etc. it was so cold. But yeah, we don't realize it but people do this.

Saundra and I hosted for two years. One year on a forest road! That's right, 14 day stay area. NO COST!!!

Second year a group camp area.

This was in the years around 2005-6. Campers really had no outlying excuse for treating the forest as though it was a service station bathroom, but they did!!!
We hosted to do our part! We frequently invited Campers over for game nights and did what we could to improve relations that were frazzled by rangers personalities.

In my opinion camp hosts expose themselves to the lowest branches of humanity, and the worst was a sheriff's family camp-out group. Second group was a group of cheer leaders.

I came away from those gigs with a total disgust for many Campers.

NEVER AGAIN!!!

Latest resources

Back