Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

rodreid

RVF Newbee
Hi our awning is starting to deteriorate along the top where it meets the roller .It has several small holes along that edge. I have tried awning repair tape which lasted until the 1st really strong wind The rest of the fabric is fine and i want to make it last another couple of seasons .I am considering some kind of flexible weather proof sealant which i can spray or paint on there .I have considered flex seal you know the stuff advertised on tv for gutter repair etc. wondering if any members have used something similar. Thanks . Rod.

If the awning is deteriorating you might be fighting a lost cause in trying to fix it. On mine once it started to show deterioration it went pretty quick. I just replaced it. Saved me money and time in the long run..

It is only along the top where it is open to the weather all the time . The rest of the awning is fine . Not really in a position to replace right now .

Hi @rodreid, and welcome to the forum. I had an older awning on my last motor home and I was in the same boat. Just give me a couple more years, right? In my case, the holes were small, kind of like a BB had hit it. So I took some silicone caulking and put a dab over each of the small holes. In some areas I had to put a little more than others.

I did it on a hot day so the silicone had plenty of time to cure before I rolled it up or before it rained. In my case, the areas that I repaired held up well and didn't grow any further. Of course, it didn't stop new areas from developing small holes, but I touched them up as they occurred. I used a clear silicone and when it was dry you didn't even notice it.

Good luck!

Jim

On our previous motorhome, we had the same problem on just the exposed area when rolled up. I used some awning repair tape along the whole exposed area. It kept that awning going for another couple years. Pretty sure I bought it off Amazon, but it was 6 years ago. We eventually replaced the main and slide out fabric. Our local mobile RV repair guy did the work right at our house. I was surprised that it did not cost a fortune. He knew what he was doing, and took him less than 2 hours.

Well, I’m a do-it-yourselfer. My wife and I replaced our 20ft awning with a new one just a couple months ago. I found a couple YouTube videos on replacement and it was fairly easy. It is cumbersome however.
We went with the vinyl to keep cost down below $200. A lot easier then I thought. Follow locking the spring instructions closely, other then that no problem.

Latest resources

Back