Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

KPC

RVF Newbee
Hi there, I have just purchased an 86 fleet wood prowler, it did not come with an awning and want to put one on. There is a slot bracket that runs the length of the trailer above the doors, assuming that was factory in case you wanted to install later, looking for suggestions on purchasing one. See a lot of them on Amazon, but not sure. Anyone have experience with this trailer or similar?
Thank you.

Hi there, I have just purchased an 86 fleet wood prowler, it did not come with an awning and want to put one on. There is a slot bracket that runs the length of the trailer above the doors, assuming that was factory in case you wanted to install later,
You are correct, and that slot is a universal size, so any brand awning material will slide into it.
looking for suggestions on purchasing one. See a lot of them on Amazon, but not sure. Anyone have experience with this trailer or similar?
Thank you.
You are smart to be hesitant about purchasing an off-brand Amazon awning. If something breaks, parts will probably be non-existant. Carefree of Colorado, and Shadepro are two well-known brands, and one can get replacement components reasonably easily, so I would recommend either of those.
First, though, decide where on your camper you want to mount it. You'll need a clear vertical space from the bottom to the top for the support arms at either end. You do NOT have to get a full-length awning. Armed with that dimension, you can start shopping.

Good luck.....Roger

You are correct, and that slot is a universal size, so any brand awning material will slide into it.

You are smart to be hesitant about purchasing an off-brand Amazon awning. If something breaks, parts will probably be non-existant. Carefree of Colorado, and Shadepro are two well-known brands, and one can get replacement components reasonably easily, so I would recommend either of those.
First, though, decide where on your camper you want to mount it. You'll need a clear vertical space from the bottom to the top for the support arms at either end. You do NOT have to get a full-length awning. Armed with that dimension, you can start shopping.

Good luck.....Roger
Thank you Rodger, this was very helpful.

Along these same lines I have a question about replacing an awning. I'm a pretty handy guy. I've fixed a few things on my trailer camper. My awning was torn off violently in a parking mishap, and the quote from a repair man is $2500. The Awning replacement he wants to purchase is the same exact one (electric), same size, etc. Shipping/freight is going to cost $400 for some reason, and then his labor will be another $400. I see RV repair part stores all around me, and I've watched a few youtube videos of people installing their own awning.

Given that the holes for the hardware are already in my RV, and the wire is already run, and the old awning is completely removed, it looks like a pretty simple job to put a new awning in place.
As I removed it, the repair man said 'keep these spacers.' And yes I'm not sure why we need spacers, usually it's to keep things level, but none of the installation videos I've seen mention spacer brackets.

Before I decide to do this on my own I have questions:
1 - are there hidden 'gotchas' in installing my own awning I don't know about? in other words is attempting to do this myself a fool's errand?

2 - why do I need to pay $400 in shipping/freight? Why do I need the same make/model awning? I have read here why not to get an Amazon special, because no parts available, etc, but why not pick up a local awning from a local store that's a good brand, the same size and has the motor on the proper side (as most awnings do have the motor on the front side of the RV).

Any advise is helpful.

The reason I ask is because insurance sent a check, but if the repairman charges me more, I'll be out of pocket. And I really prefer not to be out of pocket on this repair.

Thanks for advice.
-Gimpel.

Well, Gimpel; I guess a few questions are in order first. Were any of the original mounting holes damaged in the dramatic destruction of your awning?
If so, that's your first "Gotcha". You may have to seal the old holes up and move the mounting position a few inches forward or aft, wherever you have the clearance.
Did any of those Youtube videos cover the importance of sealant during installation? If not.....SEALANT!! in the holes, under the mounting surfaces, etc. Those are excellenct places for water intrusion that you won't see until damage (rot) is done.
You would also be WELL ADVISED to have at least one other person when installing an awning. They are really clumsy for one body to handle.

There's absolutely no reason for you to blow $400 bucks on shipping. If you can get the same model and size of awning locally, then that's a no-brainer. If there's no damaged original mounting holes, and you have no issues with the brand/model of your old awning, then you would know that a new, identical one would go right up there. With a different brand/model/size, then you're starting from scratch......just sayin'.

Other than that, you and a helper should be able to do it just fine. (Do pay attention when hooking up the wiring.....you don't want it to try to run backwards.)

Right now, my manual awning is setting on sawhorses because a couple internal components wore out in the ratchet/locking mechanism, so it's entirely do-able.

Roger

Of course you can do it!

Keep in mind that an installer can see problems that you will overlook.
Alignment is everything, poorly Aligned awnings can chatter, and grind. My opinion is that is why some people here complain about the way their awnings are working, but that is my opinion.

Truth is, having a professional do the job is no guarantee!

Well, Gimpel; I guess a few questions are in order first. Were any of the original mounting holes damaged in the dramatic destruction of your awning?
If so, that's your first "Gotcha". You may have to seal the old holes up and move the mounting position a few inches forward or aft, wherever you have the clearance.
Did any of those Youtube videos cover the importance of sealant during installation? If not.....SEALANT!! in the holes, under the mounting surfaces, etc. Those are excellenct places for water intrusion that you won't see until damage (rot) is done.
You would also be WELL ADVISED to have at least one other person when installing an awning. They are really clumsy for one body to handle.

There's absolutely no reason for you to blow $400 bucks on shipping. If you can get the same model and size of awning locally, then that's a no-brainer. If there's no damaged original mounting holes, and you have no issues with the brand/model of your old awning, then you would know that a new, identical one would go right up there. With a different brand/model/size, then you're starting from scratch......just sayin'.

Other than that, you and a helper should be able to do it just fine. (Do pay attention when hooking up the wiring.....you don't want it to try to run backwards.)

Right now, my manual awning is setting on sawhorses because a couple internal components wore out in the ratchet/locking mechanism, so it's entirely do-able.

Roger
Roger Roger, over under. Lol thanks for the advice. I knew about sealant and yes the holes were damaged. My plan was to fill with bonded wood putty and then redrill. Same make/model awning isn't available locally.
New holes might actually work in my favor, knowing the supports are in place.

Thank you, I'll look into local suppliers.

Latest resources

Back