• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Bad Tires on Forest River

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
First welcome to the forum. We bought our travel trailer in May of 2020. It came with Castle Rock tires. I changed them out and went with Goodyear Endurance. That was my choice of trailer tire. There are many other American made trailer tires out there. I would replace those tires asap. Sorry about all the trouble you have had with the Castle Rock. Skipper

To much on brand. Maybe even on build country. Not enough on failure causes. Let me name a few.

To low of a weight rating! If your axle is a 3500# axle load rating of "C" is likely to low.

Seldom is a trailer run across the scale after it is loaded, it should be when you first setup so you know the pressure your tires should be inflated to. That brings me to the greatest reason tires fail,UNDER INFLATION!!!

I have used top brands that were made in the orient, go figure!

To much on brand. Maybe even on build country. Not enough on failure causes. Let me name a few.

To low of a weight rating! If your axle is a 3500# axle load rating of "C" is likely to low.

Seldom is a trailer run across the scale after it is loaded, it should be when you first setup so you know the pressure your tires should be inflated to. That brings me to the greatest reason tires fail,UNDER INFLATION!!!

I have used top brands that were made in the orient, go figure!
Not really. 5th wheel and travel trailer manufacturers put on the cheapest tire they can find. Stories of these tires failing are all over the internet.
The only cause of failure I can think of due to these tires that isn't on their cheap construction is the fact that some of the delivery drivers abuse them running 80 mph, these idiots pass me on the highway all the time.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. We purchased a Forest River Hemisphere 22 ft. in Nov. 2019 and used it twice. Then the end of Dec., we took it back to dealer to fix minor bugs that were wrong with it. Due to Covid, they had it 5 months. We finally got it back in April and today, we were headed out on our first camping trip! Well we had a blown out and the tire is a "Castle Rock". The entire top came off down to the wires. It did damage to the fender, undercarriage, flooring and damage to the wrapping that holds the water lines. It's unbelievable how much damage a blowout can cause. I think these Chinese tires are unsafe, has anyone else had problems with them? The dealer replace our spare when we took it in in Dec. 2019, it had a bubble on it. What are the best tires to put on?
I had the Castle Rock tires as well. I had the first catastrophic blow out in Utah at 8200 miles. I check pressures and adjust before EVERY start and I have an integrated TPMS. There was no abnormality or warning before the failure. The trailer was not overloaded and I never drive over 60 MPH.
At 15000 miles I was doing my normal inspection and rotation. I found flat spots on two of the tires and cracking in tread of another and they all wore as if they were underinflated. The tire dealer said these were sign of belt separation. I've been to two tire dealerships and no one had ever heard of Castle Rock.
Needless to say, I have replaced them all. A few dollars is not worth a failure in the middle of Montana or North Dekota.
The Castle Rocks are junk.

Also, it is a good idea to check tire pressures on a new unit propiorto leaving the dealer. When .I got home with my first MotorHome, the tires were 40 lbs low. Go figure!

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. We purchased a Forest River Hemisphere 22 ft. in Nov. 2019 and used it twice. Then the end of Dec., we took it back to dealer to fix minor bugs that were wrong with it. Due to Covid, they had it 5 months. We finally got it back in April and today, we were headed out on our first camping trip! Well we had a blown out and the tire is a "Castle Rock". The entire top came off down to the wires. It did damage to the fender, undercarriage, flooring and damage to the wrapping that holds the water lines. It's unbelievable how much damage a blowout can cause. I think these Chinese tires are unsafe, has anyone else had problems with them? The dealer replace our spare when we took it in in Dec. 2019, it had a bubble on it. What are the best tires to put on?
Not familiar with that brand but stay away from Carlisle tires as well. When we were towing we went thru 3 or 4 of them and new too And! And yes blow outs do do damage when it happens!!

Also, it is a good idea to check tire pressures on a new unit propiorto leaving the dealer. When .I got home with my first MotorHome, the tires were 40 lbs low. Go figure!
AS I've said before "new does not guarantee good, nor correct". Ya gotta check em yourself with good known accurate gauges. Those $2 things are Walmart are junk. And just because it is "digital" doesn't mean it is accurate. It is just digital.

Latest resources

Back