Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Not a big fan of the Badlands KOA with flies that bite...hard! Flies are relentless. Park is okay, it's about location, nothing else, friendly staff, huge dog park which I got drug to as my lab turned into a sled dog with 4 paw drive. She has a thing for dog parks and I don't get a vote.

If you have an access pass, don't forget to have it with you depending on the direction you're coming to this KOA. I had mine in my toad but I showed my Veteran ID and she gave me another free pass, not sure if you need it to pass through to the KOA but so be it, done. You have to go through the badlands national park to get to the KOA from I-90. Also of note, as the campground info tells you, you need to enter the GPS coordinates and not address into your GPS which I did. Make sure you know how to do that and also set the format for the coordinates if ever needed. I think in the Garmin RV 890 I use you have to turn on the coordinates item and also tap the wrench to change the coordinate format.

I went to two minuteman sites and the museum, very interesting especially as a prior Air Force guy. I didn't realize how close they were to the interstate! I always wondered where these sites were, didn't realize Rapid City (Ellsworth AFB) splits the east and west grounds for these sites. Interesting stuff. FYI the white pointy tip at the one site is not the missile, it's the ultra high frequency antenna. The glass cover is for you to look down at the missile.

IMG_4139.png
IMG_4140.png
IMG_4141.png
IMG_4144.png
IMG_4145.png
IMG_4146.png
IMG_4147.png

You got in to the missile site! When we tried in June, they told us August for tours, a friend was told September. We went to the Ronald Reagan one in ND instead.

It wasn't guided tours, just go there on your own. I think you can do some tour with your cell phone or something. All I needed to see.

Has it been decommissioned? I suppose so, otherwise a private person could never go there. Duh...

What, no picture of the missile?:cool:

Latest resources

Back