Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I don't know what it is but when it comes to dumping I have the best luck and in the end great campfire stories. So here goes another edition of Neal at the Campground.

I prefer state parks as they seem to be more spacious, a better camping feel, not so much an RV parking lot when it comes to Class A camping (glamping). I'm on my winter journey and months ago decided to get a 42 gallon barker tote tank. It fits nicely in the bed of my toad and leaves plenty of room for other items as needed. I avoided using it for quite a while but the time finally came (yep, get ready). I'm in the midst of a two month nothing but state park part of my trip, which has been great but I'm tired of the water conservation practices and decided it's time to learn the barker tank.

Now what complicates matters is I have a sani-con turbo 400S. Well, at the end of the sani-con hose is the connection we're all familiar with that sort of clamps into the ground receptacle. There is no such thing on the barker so I figured I'd just hold the sani-con ground fitting to the large hole of the barker tank. I opened gray, turned on the sani-con and let's just say that did not go exactly as planned. First off there is a lot of pressure coming out of the large hole of the sani-con, I may have done better if I left the black cap on and gone with the smaller hose port. Nope. I dove for my gray tank switch (I have drainmaster electric gates) and of course the end of the hose no longer made an almost good fit and came off. As I went for the gray button, yep, I must have hit black. Gray closes (I think) and black starts flowing. What a treat. Fortunately I'm in a very large remote desert site so no one is going to know and thank goodness for dissolving RV TP. By the way, just using gray bypass instead of actually turning on the sani-con pump worked much better. I was surprised it even made it up the elevation and into the top of the tank.

Keeping the story under control I realized I would need to use the 3 inch hose instead. Okay but in the sheer brilliance of the barker tank folk the fitting on the barker tank expects bayonets but our sewer hoses have bayonet on the coach side and nubs on the other end. So how is this going to work??? Back to Amazon and had to order a special fitting for the barker tank. I ordered the Camco 90 degree tote tank adapter so now I can connect the 3 inch hose from coach to tank. Now someone please tell me how to manage a 10 foot hose and not let it sag below the tank and then how to get the goods to flow uphill and in? So I then ordered a 2 foot hose which I have yet to use, I decided to go back to sani-con. Now I'm focused on using a garden hose connection so I ordered an orange 6 foot hose, something to keep this separate from my other hoses even though I only plan to use this for gray as I'm good for about two weeks on black as a solo rv'er.

Of course again the brilliance of the tote designer the sani-con hose connection is male and yep, the hose connection on the tote is male. Amazon to the rescue again, an adapter is ordered for this part. Now I can connect the garden hose between sani-con to the tote tank. And this too I have not tried as in my 3rd barker expedition I just connected the hose to the sani-con black cap garden hose connection and stuck the darned hose into the tank via the large port.

So I hope all my fellow RVers with first time fun of a barker tank you too can learn from this experience. I'm good with the lesson gathering to share. Here is yet another edition of Neal at the Campground for your reading pleasure. Visuals are completely up to you.

? Thanks for the entertainment, Neal! Sorry, but you had LadyDi and I in stitches.

Does the Barker tank have a vent". If not, be careful as making a secure connection with the short garden hose could have some explosive effects if the air can't exit fast enough. You may not have "seen anything yet!"

Does the Barker tank have a vent

Yes, you have to loosen the tank level side or have the large port open so it does vent.

Glad to entertain you, it's not my first time with tank dumping challenges. Those will remain in the private archives for now :)

I want to emphasize the importance of the venting as @TJ&LadyDi brought up. When I first put the sani-con over the big port I did not know of venting. Quite frankly the barker tote again falls short in design as there is no vent designed into it. I learned that you have to loosen the tank level dip stick thing in order to allow venting but that is going to cause leakage when you get near full. If you use the typical 3 inch sewer hose then you will have no venting. I think the reason the gray water bypass in sani-con worked well is it has sort of its own venting built in.

Venting is very important for barker user in my few attempts to date. Great point TJ.

My little 30 gallon tote came with a hose that fits pretty tight into the 3" opening. To vent it I just unscrew the hose connection. Where we spend the summer I need to use the tote about once a week.

I don't know what it is but when it comes to dumping I have the best luck and in the end great campfire stories. So here goes another edition of Neal at the Campground.

I prefer state parks as they seem to be more spacious, a better camping feel, not so much an RV parking lot when it comes to Class A camping (glamping). I'm on my winter journey and months ago decided to get a 42 gallon barker tote tank. It fits nicely in the bed of my toad and leaves plenty of room for other items as needed. I avoided using it for quite a while but the time finally came (yep, get ready). I'm in the midst of a two month nothing but state park part of my trip, which has been great but I'm tired of the water conservation practices and decided it's time to learn the barker tank.

Now what complicates matters is I have a sani-con turbo 400S. Well, at the end of the sani-con hose is the connection we're all familiar with that sort of clamps into the ground receptacle. There is no such thing on the barker so I figured I'd just hold the sani-con ground fitting to the large hole of the barker tank. I opened gray, turned on the sani-con and let's just say that did not go exactly as planned. First off there is a lot of pressure coming out of the large hole of the sani-con, I may have done better if I left the black cap on and gone with the smaller hose port. Nope. I dove for my gray tank switch (I have drainmaster electric gates) and of course the end of the hose no longer made an almost good fit and came off. As I went for the gray button, yep, I must have hit black. Gray closes (I think) and black starts flowing. What a treat. Fortunately I'm in a very large remote desert site so no one is going to know and thank goodness for dissolving RV TP. By the way, just using gray bypass instead of actually turning on the sani-con pump worked much better. I was surprised it even made it up the elevation and into the top of the tank.

Keeping the story under control I realized I would need to use the 3 inch hose instead. Okay but in the sheer brilliance of the barker tank folk the fitting on the barker tank expects bayonets but our sewer hoses have bayonet on the coach side and nubs on the other end. So how is this going to work??? Back to Amazon and had to order a special fitting for the barker tank. I ordered the Camco 90 degree tote tank adapter so now I can connect the 3 inch hose from coach to tank. Now someone please tell me how to manage a 10 foot hose and not let it sag below the tank and then how to get the goods to flow uphill and in? So I then ordered a 2 foot hose which I have yet to use, I decided to go back to sani-con. Now I'm focused on using a garden hose connection so I ordered an orange 6 foot hose, something to keep this separate from my other hoses even though I only plan to use this for gray as I'm good for about two weeks on black as a solo rv'er.

Of course again the brilliance of the tote designer the sani-con hose connection is male and yep, the hose connection on the tote is male. Amazon to the rescue again, an adapter is ordered for this part. Now I can connect the garden hose between sani-con to the tote tank. And this too I have not tried as in my 3rd barker expedition I just connected the hose to the sani-con black cap garden hose connection and stuck the darned hose into the tank via the large port.

So I hope all my fellow RVers with first time fun of a barker tank you too can learn from this experience. I'm good with the lesson gathering to share. Here is yet another edition of Neal at the Campground for your reading pleasure. Visuals are completely up to you.
I wouldn’t mind seeing the video replay???

Oh it never ends. Today was barker day. I swear I hit grey and I instead hit black. I was wondering why grey smelled so bad! I really didn't want to "bio hazard" my barker but if someone tries to steal it now they are in for a treat. A.G.E. syndrome is getting the best of me!

Maybe you just need to let Alexa handle the dumps! ?

"Alexa, dump the grey." Then, if something goes wrong, you can blame her.

TJ

I snorted reading this. Thanks for the laugh

Wow. I see a Barker being towed from the tow ball of a few pickups slowly around the CGs I've been in.
I didn't know they had that much fun filling it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back