• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Basement door hinge failure on 2022 4081

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Ok. I came up with a permanent and elegant solution to the snap ring hinge issue. I found some Oil Lite flanged bushings at McMaster Carr. The machined flanges will carry the load of the door and the bronze bushing will last forever and a day. Unfortunately, the closest I could find were 5/8 OD which is .016 bigger than the boss in the hinge. I had to chuck them up in my lathe and turn them down to fit. I also had to add a couple of 3/8 flat washers to shim the door the perfect resting position. The door is at least 50 percent
more stable with the tighter tolerances.

Hinge 4.jpg

3/8 washer on each end of the plastic spacer to shim the door.
Hinge 1.jpg

Hinge 2.jpg

My set up to turn the bushings down. A 3/8 bolt long enough chuck up. This could be done in a drill press and a use a file to shave down the bronze if you are careful.

Hinge 3.jpg

This fix will end up costing me less than ten bucks a door. I could machine a snap ring groove in them to use for the doors that drop down. The only one that does that on my coach is the wet bay door.

@Rustymayes , keep us posted on repair solutions. My 4081 also had the fender skirts flopping in the breeze, 1st one with only 1200 miles on it.
I will be tackling that in the morning. I bought a bunch of 1/4 X 1 1/4 inch bolts with self locking nuts and washers. I will drill out the screw holes and use the bolts with washers as spacers to custom fit and secure each skirt flange. I am tired of checking and retightening the self tapping screws that Newmar used. Ill post the install.

Be glad you didn't have to buy those bushings from Newmar. I bought one a while ago to repair the same problem, and it was very pricey.

Am I looking at a needle bearing on the left of that picture?

The machined flanges will carry the load of the door and the bronze bushing will last forever and a day. Unfortunately, the closest I could find were 5/8 OD which is .016 bigger than the boss in the hinge. I had to chuck them up in my lathe and turn them down to fit. I also had to add a couple of 3/8 flat washers to shim the door the perfect resting position. The door is at least 50 percent
more stable with the tighter tolerances.
You might set up a production line. You’d do a brisk business!

Am I looking at a needle bearing on the left of that picture?
No, as I recall it's a grooved nylon insert (with gold plating from the price)

No, as I recall it's a grooved nylon insert (with gold plating from the price)
Funny, it looked like the nylon was a needle retainer?

Anyhow, my assessment is the hinge is not properly machined for the bushing. That bushing should be a wring fit in the hole of the hinge. Putting all that aside it's not a bad engineering problem, rather sloppy machining, and quality control. That means the failure is material failure and may be under warranty!

Just saying!!!

Funny, it looked like the nylon was a needle retainer?

Anyhow, my assessment is the hinge is not properly machined for the bushing. That bushing should be a wring fit in the hole of the hinge. Putting all that aside it's not a bad engineering problem, rather sloppy machining, and quality control. That means the failure is material failure and may be under warranty!

Just saying!!!
Oh!!! By the way, I personally think the design of the hinge is a superior design, it is a shame no one caught the manufacturing problem.

Latest resources

Back