Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

LSG

RVF Regular
While my question isnt actually about a van RV conversion maybe some of you might be able to help guide me. I am building out a van for my sons mobile knife sharpening business. It will be powered by a 12 volt system that is converted to 110 for most of his power tools. It will be in constant use. We are thinking a 3000W inverter is the size he needs.

Thought is to use two 6 volt golf cart batteries LithIIm would be great but the price is out of his league right now. They also suffer in cold weather and he will be operating in winter months. Any input? I have heard that venting is an issue in an enclosed area but AGM batteries suffer in the recharge times as well their not to far out of his cost range.

Charging and inverting brands and how tos. One concern with an all in one is there larger than using two separate units. It looks like I could fit a charger and and inverter under the passenger seat but a 3000W charger inverter are to tall to do so. This isnt a breaking point if there was a combination unit that was superior we will find a spot for it.

This will see continuous use and often the batteries will be drained to a very low level. I know this affects lifespan but thats just part of the gig.

Thanks in advance.

You will have to estimate the amount of power he will use per hour. What is the draw per hour of his equipment. Two lead acid batteries of any type may not last very long.

My previous class C had 2 12v batteries that would be drawn down to 50% overnight with a few hours of lights and fans.

The current rig has six 6v batteries and residential refrigerator. Same situation, so I cannot imaginfe a persistent AC drw for any extended period. Sounds like he would do better with a small generator.

You will have to estimate the amount of power he will use per hour. What is the draw per hour of his equipment. Two lead acid batteries of any type may not last very long.

My previous class C had 2 12v batteries that would be drawn down to 50% overnight with a few hours of lights and fans.

The current rig has six 6v batteries and residential refrigerator. Same situation, so I cannot imaginfe a persistent AC drw for any extended period. Sounds like he would do better with a small generator.

Talking with others who do similar there getting about 3 hours run time which is enough as half of his job is the point of sale and the BS phase of his job. Unfortunately none of them are really operating in the same manner he will be and all of them have old outdated chargers and inverters that are no longer available if they are having good luck with them.

The real factor is if he can be plugged into power is there an inverter that will keep him in motion if he shows up with a fully charged battery from the start the big battery draw will be if hes using the buffer which is probably going to be triple the power consumption of his belt sanders motors there 550 watts at full speed under load of which he will be operating around half that. We know battery life is going to be short its life cost of doing business.

Hoping to select the best inverter charger or individual components for the money. But theres so many options its mind boggling.

If you are not plugged into shore power you will still need a generator or someplace to plug in to recharge the batteries.

3000 watts divided by a typical automotive electrical system voltage of 13.8 = about 217 amps. That's a whole lotta' amps!!! The cable thickness required to feed a 3000 watt inverter without a big voltage drop will be both a large thickness (welding cable) and a very short feed cable. This inverter will easily starve for input power even with the engine running.

Yes, its generator time if he really needs 3000 watts or an extended running time.

Rick

I would suggest a 2500-watt inverter generator, suitable for RV use, would be a better option. No issue with the life cycle recharging batteries, no charger needed, no 12V DC to 120 VAC inverter needed, no worry about discharged batteries. These can be purchased new {Westinghouse or Champion} for less than $500 and total weight of 50 lbs. I'd say batteries, charger, and inverter would easily cost that much and weigh 2x to 3x that much.

Latest resources

Back