RV Year
RV Make
Coachmen
RV Model
Catalina Trail Blazer 26TH
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
I am currently using 2 GC2 batteries in my trailer as I had planned on spending a winter in Quartzite a few years ago. Plans changed and I am now going to be replacing my batteries.

I dont know if any one has checked lately but the price of a good gc2 battery has almost double since I purchased mine 5 years ago. That being the case I am not real sure what battery(s) to get as far as replacements go. What type of battery do you suggest. I am thinking I have 3 or 4 choices;
1) Stay with what I have 2)AGM 3)Marine/RV or LifePo4.
I really like the Lifepo4 for the weight savings of almost 100 lbs over what I am currently using but I can not afford at this time to change my converter to one compatible with Lithium. At the same time I have read in various places that charging the Lithium to 80/90% will actually prolong the life.

Tell me what you suggest.

Are you planning to camp off grid?

Honestly?

If I didn't need the extra storage, I wouldn't throw money at it.

i.e. I would only buy a marine DS 12 v battery!!!

Save weight and money.

Honestly?

If I didn't need the extra storage, I wouldn't throw money at it.

i.e. I would only buy a marine DS 12 v battery!!!

Save weight and money.
Kevin, normally I would agree with you in a heart beat. I have been looking on-line at group 24 batteries and they seem to be as much as an inexpensive(cheap) lifepo4 battery. I found a range of $150 to $189 for a simple Marine/RV battery. I realize that you probably get what you pay for but I have seen Lifepo batteries for as low as $170. For a few dollars more you can get all the bells and whistles from low temp protection to blue tooth.

I wish I could find some one that had purchased one of these cheaper batteries and could give me real time and actual usage. I know there are a lot of you tube videos on them so I may just have to do some more research.

Also, what are your thoughts on only being able to charge to 80/90 per cent using the converter. If we did end up boondocking for a couple of days I could always use my generator and a lithium compatible charger.

If you have followed me for a while,you know I am not a fan of lithium batteries.

As you say,you get what you pay for! That said I do have a server farm rack mount lithium 48v battery. The battery was surplus salvage, so the price was good. The inverter would brake the bank for many people on a budget! So for most doing things conventionally make a bunch of sense.

Without the proper charging system,be it solar, or via a converter, I would shy away from cheap lithium batteries because they use passive BMS boards.

Latest resources

Back