Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

xxiiiliv

RVF Regular
After the recent fire we had, I’m looking at 12v compressor fridges, no more gas for me. Anyway, one I looked at said it consumes about 60 Ah/day. We have a relatively small setup at (2) 80Ah batteries and a 100watt solar setup. I also read that for this fridge, I should a minimum 200 Ah of battery and 200 watts of solar. Is this so ?

with battery's in the RV , more is better if you boondock.
you have 160 amp hours in flooded lead acid. and you say the fridge used 60 amp hours. with the common belief of not discharging the battery's more than 50% you can go about a day if you run nothing else.
I have a residential fridge that draws 10 amps at 12 volts when its running, I have 400 amp hours of battery. I also run other loads, TV, charge devices, lights, microwave and a keurig. I can go 1 day . I have 400 watts solar and a generator. depending on the sun I run the gen an hour or 2 a day.

with battery's in the RV , more is better if you boondock.
you have 160 amp hours in flooded lead acid. and you say the fridge used 60 amp hours. with the common belief of not discharging the battery's more than 50% you can go about a day if you run nothing else.
I have a residential fridge that draws 10 amps at 12 volts when its running, I have 400 amp hours of battery. I also run other loads, TV, charge devices, lights, microwave and a keurig. I can go 1 day . I have 400 watts solar and a generator. depending on the sun I run the gen an hour or 2 a day.
If I just had the fridge load and some lights then, it sounds like I could just squeak by. Assuming of course, the solar could replenish that 60+ loss daily. We do also have a generator we can use as well

If I just had the fridge load and some lights then, it sounds like I could just squeak by. Assuming of course, the solar could replenish that 60+ loss daily. We do also have a generator we can use as well
It's best to add battery capacity and play it safe. Otherwise you will be replacing your existing battery sooner than later.

It's best to add battery capacity and play it safe. Otherwise you will be replacing your existing battery sooner than later.
Sound advice, for sure. Now, suppose that I’m one of those guys who like to be a bit closer to the edge. I’m trying to see if my math is right, and under optimal conditions, i.e., plenty of sun, and a generator to help, if what I’m thinking is feasible.

Sound advice, for sure. Now, suppose that I’m one of those guys who like to be a bit closer to the edge. I’m trying to see if my math is right, and under optimal conditions, i.e., plenty of sun, and a generator to help, if what I’m thinking is feasible.
Feasible yes. Probable maybe, Optimal no. You will likely decrease the lifespan of the fridge as well. When the volts in the battery get low the fridge will draw more amps to compensate. Drawing more amps through electrical devices regularly decreases their lifespan.

Feasible yes. Probable maybe, Optimal no. You will likely decrease the lifespan of the fridge as well. When the volts in the battery get low the fridge will draw more amps to compensate. Drawing more amps through electrical devices regularly decreases their lifespan.
The inverse proportional aspect is a good point. I really hadn’t considered it. this makes your point very well. So, a question then… rather than throw a bucket full of batteries at this, is there a formula to figure minimum number of batteries? Then i would have a solid start

I have a tendency to overkill when it comes to batteries. I like to "set it and forget it". I would determine Watt hours per day of loads and multiply x2 If you use Lifep04. X 4 if you use anything else to ensure you don’t discharge too deep to ruin battery memory. This will give you buffer for overcast and higher temps. Then determine what you will need to recharge. Either run geny longer or expand solar charging.

I have a tendency to overkill when it comes to batteries. I like to "set it and forget it". I would determine Watt hours per day of loads and multiply x2 If you use Lifep04. X 4 if you use anything else to ensure you don’t discharge too deep to ruin battery memory. This will give you buffer for overcast and higher temps. Then determine what you will need to recharge. Either run geny longer or expand solar charging.
Appreciate it

Latest resources

Back