Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

ericbertz

RVF Newbee
I currently own a 2014 32 breeze and can dry camp for at least a day (small refrigerator on propane), run the generator for an hour in the morning and at night per campground rules, and keep the coach batteries running well. I am looking to upgrade to a 2023 33BR, which has a residential refrigerator and the whole coach consumes a lot more battery power. I called the Tiffin service line and was told the batteries can power the coach and refrigerator for 6-8 hours and thats about it. We dry camp for 4-5 days at a time, and I am concerned that the fridge, which runs on electricity and not propane...will be constantly draining the batteries down........ I might be out 10-12 hours on some days and come home to no power, and the refrigerator is off.........not enough power to turn the generator over..........never mind running a heater at night with the refrigerator on, in october in New England.
Are there any solutions to this concern?
Are these coaches meant to be plugged in all the time and not for dry camping?
thanks so much!

Not suitable for your type of camping

We have replaced our RV fridge with a resi fridge. We also have a small 1.7 cubic foot fridge in the basement. The combined draw with inverter/ converter running is 1 amp. We have four 6 volt 240 amp hour AGM house batteries. We boondock and have had no problems. We watch our tv and I run a CPAP at night. I can get 14 hours run time and then charge using the generator. We do not have solar yet. Solar would be a great help.

A simple solar installation and a little more in the battery bank would do it. I have a residential fridge and never worry about the batteries and never run my generator unless I want to run the AC. You’ll have enough room below to add some batteries and enough room on the roof for plenty of panels. I’d suggest two more 6v batteries (total of 6), 3 320w residential panels, and one good MPPT controller. If you can do the install work yourself, it will cost you around $2000.

A simple solar installation and a little more in the battery bank would do it. I have a residential fridge and never worry about the batteries and never run my generator unless I want to run the AC. You’ll have enough room below to add some batteries and enough room on the roof for plenty of panels. I’d suggest two more 6v batteries (total of 6), 3 320w residential panels, and one good MPPT controller. If you can do the install work yourself, it will cost you around $2000.
It appears Eric has not purchased yet!!! Answer to his question is no, It is not made for the camping he does.
You are correct in there is a way to set the rig up. I wonder if it is advisable to suggest solar!

Have we told him how important it is to give up those idealic shady spaces because trading up to a different trailer may exclude him from the camping he loves.

Of course I am assuming that is what he loves. To be sure! I sometimes cringe, as I pass up that ideal spot for one more suitable for solar power! I still wonder years after I installed my first panels, if I didn't sacrifice to much!!!

It appears Eric has not purchased yet!!! Answer to his question is no, It is not made for the camping he does.
You are correct in there is a way to set the rig up. I wonder if it is advisable to suggest solar!

Have we told him how important it is to give up those idealic shady spaces because trading up to a different trailer may exclude him from the camping he loves.

Of course I am assuming that is what he loves. To be sure! I sometimes cringe, as I pass up that ideal spot for one more suitable for solar power! I still wonder years after I installed my first panels, if I didn't sacrifice to much!!!
There is that and while initially I was fairly intrepid with my rig, these days I try not to even take it off pavement if at all possible. I realized that a DP is just not suitable for that type of camping (although I’ve done it and I’m sure many still do) and I had to make the change. I often consider a good used camper for my truck or an older tent trailer for boondocking excursions. Or even a tent and a cot, but sleeping on the ground is no longer on the list.

Latest resources

Back