Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Funky

RVF Regular
we are long-term staying in our motor home and plugged into shore power all of a sudden our house batteries were dead. we bought a new converter and the batteries still didn't hold a charge so we replaced both house batteries and the starting battery. They last a day before they die so we start the motor home to charge them. while running we instantly have full power. We let it run for at least an hour and as soon as you turn it off the batteries drop to 2/3 and will be dead in a day. If you have any suggestions on what to do next we would greatly appreciate it!

***Update we have tested the voltage out of the converter at different times and we are getting 14-16 volts. This must be overloading our new batteries? My question is what do I do next it is a band new converter could it be bad should I buy another one?

Last edited:
Did you check to see what the voltage is at the pole? At the battery terminal?

Is there a battery switch somewhere that isn't set correctly?
Posting your make, model and year of motor home would be helpful.

Roger

Is there a battery switch somewhere that isn't set correctly?
Posting your make, model and year of motor home would be helpful.

Roger
It a 2006 Gulf Stream Sun voyager the battery switch is in the steps of the motor home we have flipped it off and have no power then back on and have power. We have been set up for six months and had no issues until now

Update we have tested the voltage out of the converter at different times and we are getting 14-16 volts. This must be overloading our new batteries? My question is what do I do next it is a new converter could it be bad should I buy another one?

At this point, you may need some tech support from the inverter mfgr. There might be some adjusting that can be done to lower the 12vdc output voltage to a more acceptable level.

Worth a try, come Monday.

Roger

Did you change battery type from wet cell to AGM or Lithium? If you did you do have to reconfigure the charger setting to conform with the new batteries. Are you sure your charge is working? I would expect full power immediately upon switching to shore power as it is a different power source. If in fact you have configured and checked the battery charge system the you have a very large parasitic drain on the batteries. The fact that it is taking out the chassis and house battery is not good and seems to indicate the drain it where both systems meet.

16vdc- likely 15.xx = equalizer (will kill AGMs quickly,turn off if you have AGMs).
14vdc- likely 14.4 = bulk charge (battery dependant).
14vdc- also may be 13.6 = floating.

I am a fan of temperature sensors, if available will keep your batteries safe.

What quality is your multimeter??

As stated above! More information is needed, manuals are typically available on manufacturers website.
You can calibrate or know how accurate your meter is by obtaining a silver battery (that's how you test accuracy).

In the manual installation instructions will be available, use them.

Latest resources

Back