Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MCLJR12

RVF Newbee
Have a 2021 Newmar Ventana 4037. Had a Interstate GC2 battery fail. Was curious on AGM replacement and if anyone has used Kirkland from Costco. Or any other brands recommended. Thanks.

If you are replacing just one of a bank of batteries, best thing is to use the same make and model.
If you are replacing the whole bank, Deep cycle AGM batteries are better choice.
I replaced my interstate batteries with Trojan AGM’s

If the bank is over 6mos old the new battery will be destroyed by the old.

What I have found is trying to save money on batteries is the worst investment you can make. Yes I once bought Costco batteries for the house bank. Boy I told everyone how I had saved. Well it wasn't long before I was eating crow.

I changed to AGMs. For me, the biggest advantage is not having to add distilled water every month and all the corrosion from off gassing. Also replaced the battery cables and copper connecting bars. I bought mine at O'Reilly. Had one fail after 14 months. We rarely boon dock.

Finally found the pics I was looking for. The copper bus bars on the batteries do corrode a lot more than I thought. As you can see, I replaced them with thicker bars.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210713_172023.jpg
    thumbnail_20210713_172023.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 13
  • thumbnail_20210713_173637.jpg
    thumbnail_20210713_173637.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail_20210714_195250.jpg
    thumbnail_20210714_195250.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 13
Finally found the pics I was looking for. The copper bus bars on the batteries do corrode a lot more than I thought. As you can see, I replaced them with thicker bars.
I hope not with the AGMs!

I am partial to using welding cable. Most of the time I use copper tubing for bus bars because it offers more surface area than solid bar does.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back