Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Battery Upgrade and Isolator Switch Kingsport 199RK...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

A-Texan

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Gulfstream Kingsport Ultralite
RV Model
199RK
RV Length
Fulltimer
No
Well hello everyone, I just thought I would post this for any of those who bought a new travel trailer (like myself) and wanted to be able to disconnect the battery easily while storing it. I installed a battery isolator switch on my trailer because for some reason the propane detector on this new trailer was drawing a lot more power than my older trailers allowing it to discharge the battery over a few weeks or so (even with a small 30 watt solar charger connected to my 42 amp hour battery). To date I have increased my solar to 150 watt, but I still switch off the battery to isolate it while it is stored. Below is what I used when adding an isolator switch and upgrading my battery from a 42 amp hour battery (why do they even sale Travel Trailers with dinky 42 amp hour batteries:unsure:) to a 105 amp hour battery. Consider this trailer has an external battery (my first trailer had an internal battery bank, but this one has it outside by the propane tank). Everything was purchased through Amazon except the battery which I got from Batteries Plus.

Total Cost to Install Isolator Switch and 105 Amp Hour Battery w/case was $217.51 plus tax

1 Water Proof Battery Isolator Switch $13.99

1674909709397.png

1 Cable set 4AWG 3/8 lugs 2ft $19.98 (only used one cable - the other is for another project)
1674910078373.png

1 105 Amp Hour Battery $149.99
1674910625450.png

1 Large Camco 31 series battery case $18.97
1674910781893.png

1 pkg self-tapping screws (1 package of 100 - only used 4 screws to attach battery case to frame through the base) $7.43

1 tube Black RTV silicone $7.15

1674923502923.png

If you are doing this, just keep in mind you are doing it at your own risk, but this is how I did it for my trailer:

1. Took off the battery lid of the old 24 series battery box.
1674923060773.png

2. Disconnect the negative cable first, then the positive cable and remove the battery.

3. Remove two self tapping screws from the base of the old battery box and toss it away.

4. Install new battery box (if you are upgrading) using 4 self tapping screws inserted through the base of the trailer battery box to the frame on your trailer (angle iron support).

5. Install your battery.

6. Install your positive battery cable to the battery.

7. Take the upper cover of the battery box, set your Isolator Switch in position near the negative wire port and trace around it with a marker making a square.
1674923255001.png

8. Find the center of the square by measuring the length of the sides, marking the midpoints, and then making a vertical and horizontal line that cross dead center of your square.

9. Use a 2 inch hole saw to drill your hole placing the drill bit on the center of your square as marked previously near the cable outlet port for the negative cable and then mark ------your 4 bolt holes and drill them out too.

10. Place a thin bead of silicone around the base of the Battery Isolator Switch and then install it on the box using the 4 screws and 4 bolts that came with it and let it dry for -------an hour before installing.
1674923392805.png

11. Install the negative cable from the trailer to one of the terminals on the Battery Isolator Switch and tighten it up.

12. Install 2ft cable jumper purchased (black one) on the other terminal of the Battery Isolator Switch and then the other end of it to your battery negative terminal. Note: the 2ft cable from the switch to the negative battery terminal gives you plenty of room to maneuver the battery box off and on as needed in case you ever have to replace it.
1674923443217.png

13. Switch the Battery Isolator Switch On and Off to Check and make sure it is working properly. (if you want to OHM out the switch before you install to test it you can before -------installing, but considering it is such a simple device I bet it is made correctly, mine was).

14. Done, celebrate with a cold soft drink.

Attachments

• 1674910712498.png
    1674910712498.png
    235.2 KB · Views: 3
Well hello everyone, I just thought I would post this for any of those who bought a new travel trailer (like myself) and wanted to be able to disconnect the battery easily while storing it. I installed a battery isolator switch on my trailer because for some reason the propane detector on this new trailer was drawing a lot more power than my older trailers allowing it to discharge the battery over a few weeks or so (even with a small 30 watt solar charger connected to my 42 amp hour battery). To date I have increased my solar to 150 watt, but I still switch off the battery to isolate it while it is stored. Below is what I used when adding an isolator switch and upgrading my battery from a 42 amp hour battery (why do they even sale Travel Trailers with dinky 42 amp hour batteries:unsure:) to a 105 amp hour battery. Consider this trailer has an external battery (my first trailer had an internal battery bank, but this one has it outside by the propane tank). Everything was purchased through Amazon except the battery which I got from Batteries Plus.

Total Cost to Install Isolator Switch and 105 Amp Hour Battery w/case was $217.51 plus tax

1 Water Proof Battery Isolator Switch $13.99

View attachment 16637

1 Cable set 4AWG 3/8 lugs 2ft $19.98 (only used one cable - the other is for another project)
View attachment 16638

1 105 Amp Hour Battery $149.99
View attachment 16639

1 Large Camco 31 series battery case $18.97
View attachment 16641
1 pkg self-tapping screws (1 package of 100 - only used 4 screws to attach battery case to frame through the base) $7.43

1 tube Black RTV silicone $7.15

View attachment 16665

If you are doing this, just keep in mind you are doing it at your own risk, but this is how I did it for my trailer:

1. Took off the battery lid of the old 24 series battery box.
View attachment 16659
2. Disconnect the negative cable first, then the positive cable and remove the battery.

3. Remove two self tapping screws from the base of the old battery box and toss it away.

4. Install new battery box (if you are upgrading) using 4 self tapping screws inserted through the base of the trailer battery box to the frame on your trailer (angle iron support).

5. Install your battery.

6. Install your positive battery cable to the battery.

7. Take the upper cover of the battery box, set your Isolator Switch in position near the negative wire port and trace around it with a marker making a square.
View attachment 16662
8. Find the center of the square by measuring the length of the sides, marking the midpoints, and then making a vertical and horizontal line that cross dead center of your square.

9. Use a 2 inch hole saw to drill your hole placing the drill bit on the center of your square as marked previously near the cable outlet port for the negative cable and then mark ------your 4 bolt holes and drill them out too.

10. Place a thin bead of silicone around the base of the Battery Isolator Switch and then install it on the box using the 4 screws and 4 bolts that came with it and let it dry for -------an hour before installing.
View attachment 16663
11. Install the negative cable from the trailer to one of the terminals on the Battery Isolator Switch and tighten it up.

12. Install 2ft cable jumper purchased (black one) on the other terminal of the Battery Isolator Switch and then the other end of it to your battery negative terminal. Note: the 2ft cable from the switch to the negative battery terminal gives you plenty of room to maneuver the battery box off and on as needed in case you ever have to replace it.
View attachment 16664
13. Switch the Battery Isolator Switch On and Off to Check and make sure it is working properly. (if you want to OHM out the switch before you install to test it you can before -------installing, but considering it is such a simple device I bet it is made correctly, mine was).

14. Done, celebrate with a cold soft drink.
Nicely done!! Question, why did you use an isolator switch rather than a water proof DC breaker? Would have come out about the same.

The price is pretty close to one another (the DC breaker is a little more expensive), but the main reason is I didn't want the wires exposed outside to the elements. I like that the connections are underneath the Isolator Switch inside of the battery box. I also felt it looked nicer.

I understand.
I just brought my bank in the house. To do it I am having to modify my couch. This is a picture before I make the armrest

1675007740638156220305593692126.jpg

Looks like you got quite a bit of battery there. How many amp hours is that Kevin?

The bank is 24 volt. So 200ah. If it were 12 volt it would be 400ah.

Latest resources

Back