Chassis
Ford
Engine
V-8
TOW/TOAD
Jeep Gladiator
Fulltimer
No
When I initially looked at our 2022 Bay Star 3408 I thought we had four 6VDC house batteries mounted in a pull out tray. Then I discovered that actually there were six 6VDC batteries when I discovered that there were two more mounted in the engine compartment. Initially I thought the two front mounted batteries in the engine compartment were the chassis battery but then discovered the one 12VDC chassis battery mounted off to the side and slightly behind these two additional house batteries. In one way it’s an odd setup but in another way a clever set up utilizing all the space to create a solution to help provide maximum inverter power.

The slide out tray that supports the four slide out house batteries does not slide out far enough to reach the forth battery and most of the third battery. Lots of weight on the tray and to be able to slide it out far enough to service all the house batteries would be an expensive solution.

Newmar provides in our operational manual a very informative explanation about batteries, their setup and how to maintain them. On page 59, in a paragraph titled “Chassis Battery Bank” they say, “Chassis batteries may need to be disconnected and removed from the coach to maintain proper electrolyte levels or perform routine battery maintenance.” In our case, the same can be said about the four tray mounted house batteries.

Lots of work to remove the four house batteries. I think I can reach all seven batteries to check lug tightness; but to check and add electrolyte not so easy and not possible on the forth battery. Unless someone can suggest a better solution I’m going to install a product called “Quick-Fill n-Board Battery Watering system” by Flow-Rite Controls to at least the four tray mounted house batteries. I’ve used it before and have had good results.

qwik-fill.jpg

I have a bank of six and they are all in one big pul-out tray that is accessible enough, but it has a watering system like the one pictured and it is very convenient and also encourages keeping the batteries topped up since its so easy. So I recommend it even if you can easily get to all the caps. Much cleaner topping them off this way too.

Latest resources

Back