Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I installed these as recommended by @redbaron (also got the LASFIT ones) and have really liked these. Far better than the ones Newmar installed and I tried the Sylvania Ultra Bright but prefer these. Easy swap out and no complaints from oncoming drivers. High beams I don't care for so I leave them in low beams and probably because the reflector housing is not really designed for this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHCQ8KY/?tag=rvf01-20

beamtech.png

@Neal, I'm not finding a 55W H3 replacement available from BeamTech; only a 30W H3. If there is a suitable LED version of the H3 out there, I would consider changing out the Sylvania halogen lamps I am using. I'm looking for a simple change-out without having to re-wire for ballasts, etc.

Thoughts?

TJ

@Neal, I'm not finding a 55W H3 replacement available from BeamTech; only a 30W H3. If there is a suitable LED version of the H3 out there, I would consider changing out the Sylvania halogen lamps I am using. I'm looking for a simple change-out without having to re-wire for ballasts, etc.

TJ, not really sure. I would pull the bulb on one of your headlights and make sure you have the correct number for the bulb. Then figure out which beamtech you want and give it a try. Made a big difference for me, whiter light vs. the dull orange/yellow bulbs that Newmar uses that you can't see for nothing with.

I followed @redbaron posts about this way back when, but I don't drive much at night and never really had a significant issue with the OEM headlights on our Bay Star (really Dodge Charger headlights). But I also didn't like the yellow-ish light and how it looked compared to the bright white LED running lights. For the $75 on Amazon, I figured why not. What a difference ... not only do they just look nicer with all lighting being bright white up front, but they light up the road better! And the swap on a Bay Star couldn't have been any easier.

I don't think many of us drive at night much but when you do, you'll regret not having better headlights. I recently had to go to Cummins for service for a 6 AM appointment and I didn't want to wake up the CG so I went to the service center and boondocked the night before. I screwed up and left too late, leaving the CG after dark, dump station, then downtown Tucson. I was glad I had the beamtech's in. But that was some bad planning!!!

I would pull the bulb on one of your headlights and make sure you have the correct number for the bulb.
I had the bulbs out and verified that low beams were H3 when I installed the Sylvania bulbs (which actually work well). I would move to LEDs for the longer life, though I'm still a little concerned about them not having DOT certification. Small point, I know, but could be an issue if someone claimed that I caused an accident with overly bright lights.

TJ

Neal,

As long as there is room for the heat sink in the headlight housing, there are many choices of H3 LED style bulbs. I tend to prefer the high end bulbs like the GTR brand bulbs. While many of the low priced options may work, in my case, the cost in time, inconvenience, and potentially labor, of replacing a failed bulb even with a money back guarantee on the part is just too high. That said my recommendation would be this, but you can clearly find a cheaper alternative. https://headlightrevolution.com/gtr-lighting-gen-3-ultra-series-led-headlight-bulbs-h3/

You indicated that you are installing or have installed Projector lenses. The LED bulbs are generally not recommended for Projectors by Headlight Revolution. Headlight Revolution claims: "Projector Headlights: Generally speaking the best thing to use in a projector application is either a halogen (if it was designed for that) or an HID/Xenon bulb (if it was designed for that). Using an LED bulb will work on some halogen projector applications but chances are doing an HID conversion will yield better/brighter light than ANY LED bulb. The technology used in designing this LED bulb is based on mimicking the attributes of a halogen/incandescent bulb, so any halogen housing they should work but your results may vary"

For those interested in understanding the different head lamp technologies, I came across this relatively understandable summary with some of the potential pitfalls of installing various different bulb technology, i.e. incandescent, LED, HID.

That is a very good video, Joe! Thanks for posting the link. Lots of good information in comparing the different lighting options.

TJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back