Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kcsnarr

RVF Newbee
I have a Carefree awning which was bent in a windstorm. I had originally bent it back to the original shape as much as possible and it worked for a while. But, after a few cycles and fatigue it has started to crack and has almost broken completely in half. I just want to Buy the replacement part which is bent (ref. Diagram). However the manufacture only sells the entire sub-assembly which cost around $400. By looking at the assembly I think I could easily replace the damaged part myself by drilling out the rivets, replacing the damaged part then Fastening with new rivets. I am looking for suggestions if anyone has any experience buying the individual awning parts rather than having to purchase the entire Sub assembly. Thank you.

Attachments

• 37650ED0-7E92-4D35-AF40-2CB98AB97BBB.jpeg
    37650ED0-7E92-4D35-AF40-2CB98AB97BBB.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 660CA0B2-E001-436E-939A-F20C8ABEA0C5.jpeg
    660CA0B2-E001-436E-939A-F20C8ABEA0C5.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 13
Welcome to RVForums @kcsnarr - sorry to hear of the booboo. There are companies that repair awnings and depending on where you're located is whether or not one is nearby. They may be able to shed some light or as you are suggesting maybe you can fix this up yourself and repaint it.

Welcome to RVForums @kcsnarr - sorry to hear of the booboo. There are companies that repair awnings and depending on where you're located is whether or not one is nearby. They may be able to shed some light or as you are suggesting maybe you can fix this up yourself and repaint it.
thanks for feedback. I will try find a place to repair if I do not find a solution myself.

As long as you can find the matching raw material, I think it is possible. It was originally built by some other person, so there is no magic involved. I say go for it!

TJ

I’m with TJ. Measure it out, visit a sheet metal shop with a laser cutter. Might cost you $50 tops for the custom piece if you go that route. If its just something really common like aluminum or steel flats, it should be really easy. It’s not like you’ll break it ?