Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

dennisd611

RVF Newbee
Recently returned to raving, trying to catch up with all new technologies, been 6-8 yrs, I have Dish tv at home and am looking to best tech to get dish in Rv, very confusing picking out best way to receive for two tvs,
Dennis

@dennisd611 "Best" will likely have some variation based on your RV and your TV watching plans. I have a Winegard Trav'ler for the antenna and 2 Wally receivers in the coach. I have Dish at our S&B. When we travel I go online to the Dish web site and activate the Wally receivers which then allow me to receive the same programming in the coach that I have at home. (if you have local channels as part of your programming package you have to call Dish to have the locals reset to the zip code you are at with the RV). I understand some folks take the receiver from there S&B and put it in the RV and apparently that works fine. In my case I have a Hopper3 at home and with the Dish Anywhere app I can connect to the Hopper from the road and watch recordings and local channels (I have a OTA antenna connected to the Hopper) that are on the Hopper. Using the Dish Anywhere app does require a reasonably high speed internet connection which can be a challenge at times on the road. The Trav'ler antenna automatically acquires and locks onto 3 satellites which gives you full channel and HD coverage. The down side of the Trav'ler is it's hard mounted on the roof so if we are under trees, or have trees in the way then no satellite TV. To the best of my knowledge the Trav'ler can be set up for Western Orbit OR Eastern Orbit reception but cannot do both. If you are interested in an antenna that can be moved independent of our RV there are a number to choose from. I have no experience with portable antennas but it seem the Pathfinder may be the most capable.

One thing I learned is that a Tailgater with two outputs (for two tvs) will not work the way you would think. I purchased a bundle (tailgater and two wallys). The primary wally worked like you would expect, but the secondary would only get what ever is on the satellite the primary was on (duh...) but the secondary wally is noot smart enough tofigure out that the satellite it is looking for is not there and to look for another one. I wouldhave to go into set up to tell it. Fix was another tailgater........

Your post title is "Best" so I would suggest the Winegard Trav'ler.

I spend winters in Az. so TV is not just a part time thing. I have dish and use two Wally's. One in the living room and one in the bedroom. Since the wife and I have very different tastes and she watches mostly in the bedroom, I got two tailgaters. One for each room so there is no programing conflicts. Tailgaters are not that much if you are spending a lot of time in the camper.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back