Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

shpsyte

RVF Newbee
Hi, we're looking for a class c motorhome around 10k, I see lots of options.. most of them is 1988/89
We also need one with max of 23ft (ideal 21ft)

However, we're new when it comes to RV. Looking for suggestion, what should I avoid, What should I focus...

Tks

Whatever you buy, pay the money to have it inspected. You may be buying a money pit. I would be concerned about possible water damage and how well was the chassis maintained.

1988/89 in the $10K range should be assumed to be a money pit unless the owner is very talented and has the tools and resources to deal with the inevitable.

Agree with inspection, but you'd want an oil analysis done on the engine and transmission. I'm guessing cost of this level of inspection could be 10% or more of the budget.

It'd be incredible to find a cream puff in this price range that would not at least need tires at $1000 or more depending on size.

Sorry I can't be more positive. This does not make good economic sense for anyone who's finances are tight.

1988/89 in the $10K range should be assumed to be a money pit unless the owner is very talented and has the tools and resources to deal with the inevitable.

Agree with inspection, but you'd want an oil analysis done on the engine and transmission. I'm guessing cost of this level of inspection could be 10% or more of the budget.

It'd be incredible to find a cream puff in this price range that would not at least need tires at $1000 or more depending on size.

Sorry I can't be more positive. This does not make good economic sense for anyone who's finances are tight.
Thank you for that! We were all thinking what you eloquently stated!

I have seen them go for a grand! Most of the time the new owner realizes they spent more than the target price!!!

Best of luck finding a 40 year old motorhome in good condition. I heard of a little old lady in Pasadena that has one for sale and she only drove it on Sundays.

Bottom line, I don't think your budget is realistic. Even if you found a creampuff motorhome for 10k expect to layout thousands more hard earned dollars when stuff starts breaking....and it will. UV damage to the plastics alone will be a nightmare. Parts availability will be slim to non-existent.

Might be better off starting small, and working your way up. For the same $$ you can get a much newer pop-up or small trailer.

Just my .02

These are out there but rarer than hens teeth. Divorce and death are the two factors that will prompt a divestment of something in decent shape for short money. This would be more doable with that budget ~3.5 years ago when the dollar had 10-15% more buying power.

10K is doable, but not with a MH!

The secret is in choices. Longer TT's have lower prices than small due to acceptable spots.

Will to go through the hoops to get an abandoned title is a way to shed much from the price tag. Before you do that find out what hoops are in your state.

There is always a reason a price is low,so learn how to read the seller, and find the hidden problem!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back