Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

fboten

RVF Newbee
Hello! I am curious what WiFi hotspot carrier(s) you all are using for your RV and why? I am looking for one for a cross-country traveling. Thank you!!!!

I only have experience with the ATT Connected Car plan "Mobley" - (the plan is not available to new subscribers now though). I moved the SIM to a Netgear Explore and it works decent in my travels.

Our only experience with a hot spot is with Verizon. We have been Verizon customers for about 20 years but only activated our phones as hot spots about a year ago. During the past year we have traveled through maybe a dozen states and it has always worked great for us.

Would encourage you to take a look at the Mobile Internet Resource Center website (the free part). They provide (supposedly) an unbiased opinion on hardware & data plans for RV folks & boaters.
When I went through the exercise upon going full time (12/2019), I went with AT&T & Verizon as my providers & elected to purchase a Peplink CAT-18 cellular modem/router for the network in my RV. The hardware device provides a lot of flexibility. Finding data plans that allow it to operate at its full potential can be challenging.

I have AT&T phones with 40 gigs hotspots, Calyx Institute T-Mobile Unlimited hotspots, and Verizon Grandfathered unlimited hotspots. I check all three at every campsite and there have been two locations that had not enough services to stream TV on all three. The majority of the time T-Mobile has outperformed the others by a good size margin and Verizon has been on the low end. It just depends so much on the locations and even the part of the county you in. I RV mostly west of the Mississippi but I have been told the east cost is Verizon country.
If I had to pick one it would be the T-Mobile after they bought out Sprint they seem to have great coverage in most the the areas I RV in prior to that they would of been my last choice.

Our fall back is Visible. We switched both our cell phones to it.
Cost us $65 per month for both phones. No data limits. Used one phone as a hot spot this summer when stopped just for overnight. It was good to stream HD movies on the TV.
For longer stays, I set up the StarLink.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back