RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40"
TOW/TOAD
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Fulltimer
No
Has anyone used a dual hitch to carry your bikes behind your motorhome? I think it would create less draft and also keep them higher off the ground which could be added security.

Thoughts or other ideas would be appreciated.

I've seen them there, just keep in mind you have a rear radiator. Now sure how much heat comes out while driving.

We use a dual hitch for the ebike rack (We have a steep driveway and scrape otherwise). The only draw back we have is the bikes are heavier than normal bikes, thus the on and off is more involved. Use to be lifting 70 lbs to eye level was no big deal...but now I must make strange noises to hoist 'em up. Once up however, the clearance is great. Not sure about the radiator issue...Good luck...blessings

Here's my setup. Not sure how it would work with a rear radiator. It would be better if it was made to shift away allowing to check fluids, etc. My Thule 2 bike rack locks the bikes and a threaded bolt with lock on it's end secures the rack.

Attachments

• Bike Rack.jpg
    Bike Rack.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 9
I did the dual rack for two whole trips. We had a Car Tow Dolly, and mounting in the hitch of the toad would have been a problem. For us (me especially ) the Tow Dolly thing was a bust. Sold it after the second trip and purchased a Jeep to flat tow.

There are multiple ways to carry bikes on a Jeep. We can get two road bikes inside with the Jeep’s rear seat folded down using the Saris Trap Fork…the front wheels are removed and the front fork is captured by a device that adjust on a track. There are suitable roof mounts…but our favorite is the 1upUSA receiver mounted rack. We can fold it down and access the rear hatch…is configurable to allow us to carry 2, 3, or 4 bikes. The square back end of the Jeep protects the bikes from slipstream…so using a bike cover isn’t a problem. We tend to drive to a lot of trails…so having the rack in the Jeep is already a must have.

Latest resources

Back