Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Gaye & Cecil

RVF Newbee
Any suggested sites at Big Bend Chisos campground that best accommodates a 24’ motor home. Preferably in the generator area?

Wish I could help. I stayed at Mavrick Ranch RV Park. Hope you get a great site. Be sure to have your MH well stocked with food and fueled at Ft. Stockton before you head down. ?

Wish I could help. I stayed at Mavrick Ranch RV Park. Hope you get a great site. Be sure to have your MH well stocked with food and fueled at Ft. Stockton before you head down. ?
Is this due to availability of food and fuel or just due to the price?

My family is looking at taking a vacation to Big Bend so I’m doing as much reading and research as I can.

Is this due to availability of food and fuel or just due to the price?

My family is looking at taking a vacation to Big Bend so I’m doing as much reading and research as I can.
Your options are very limited and you will have to travel to grocery shop. There is a small general store in Lajitas and a Mercantile Store in Terlingua. I believe there is a grocery store an hour away from Lajitas in the mountains that an employee at Maverick Ranch told me. Someone else warned me before I went down so I was fully stocked.

Enjoy your vacation there! I had a wonderful time. ?

I try to visit Big Bend twice a year. The spring cacti bloom can be spectacular. You are at the max rv length to drive up to the Chisos Basin campground so if you're towing, disconnect and drive separately.
As Ard said, stocking up on food and fuel is advisable. If you're coming from the east on I-10, Fort Stockton would be the best stop. There is a Wally World, overnighting is allowed, and a Lowes Grocery which is a regional grocery chain. There is a Flying J and Loves if needed and of course gas online is available at Wally World.
There is a great state park in Fort Davis and you are close to the McDonald Observatory which has tours available. At certain times of the year, they have stargazing parties at night where you can view planets and galaxies through some of their telescopes. Reservations are required and should be made well in advance.
A visit to the Terlingua ghost town is fun particularly in the late afternoon when the locals gather to spin yarns. I concluded some years ago there are some witness protection folks living in the desert.
Hopefully, you're towing so you can enjoy some of the unpaved roads.
Let me know if I can help with specific questions. I don't recommend going between late May and late September - its hot!

Latest resources

Back