• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Bike Rack Between MH and Toad

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@lostinfla do you have enough clearance between the MH and toad to add the NV 2.0 2 bike extension?

I'm sure it could be done easily by adding a short hitch extension to move the toad back if more room was needed.

I’ve read (on etrailer i believe) that every hitch extension or accessory added reduces tow capacity by 50%.

I’m not sure I believe that, but consider if you took a 15k# hitch, added a dual hitch receiver with a 10k# capacity, that rule would mean you should only be pulling 7.5k#s. Then add a hitch extender to push the toad back, let’s say that also had a 10k# capacity, the 50% rule means you would only be able to pull 3.5k#s.

Has anyone else ever heard of this rule? Is there any truth to it?

I’ve read (on etrailer i believe) that every hitch extension or accessory added reduces tow capacity by 50%.

I’m not sure I believe that, but consider if you took a 15k# hitch, added a dual hitch receiver with a 10k# capacity, that rule would mean you should only be pulling 7.5k#s. Then add a hitch extender to push the toad back, let’s say that also had a 10k# capacity, the 50% rule means you would only be able to pull 3.5k#s.

Has anyone else ever heard of this rule? Is there any truth to it?
Yes. I've heard it. I think 50% is a bit much to reduce the weight rating but I'm sure the manufacturers of these hitch extensions are covering their legal butts in case of an accident. The chance of a mistake or failure with a 2 piece hitch (hitch with an extension) is twice as high as a one piece hitch, correct? That's why they say a 50% reduction I'm sure. I would avoid bolt on hitch extensions at almost all cost. If you need a permanently longer hitch due to hauling a motorcycle or bicycle between the RV and the Toad, I would weld in a permanent extension to the square tube with a sleeve over it or a brace under it for support. This would be much better than sliding an extension in there to be held in place by a pin in my opinion..

IMHO I think the 1UpUSA rack is the best way to go. Easy to add a duel hitch riser for the tow bar and the bike rack above. The 1Up is very easy to use and secure. Have traveled a lot of miles with no issue at all.

Attachments

• WIN_20210509_09_52_10_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210509_09_52_10_Pro.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • WIN_20210509_09_53_19_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210509_09_53_19_Pro.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22

Latest resources

Back