Chassis
Freighliner XCR
Engine
Cummins L9
TOW/TOAD
GMC Canyon Denali
Fulltimer
No
Searching for a bike rack that is hitch mount, platform style for 2 e-bikes.

Bike dealer cautioned me to only buy a RV rated hitch. My intent is to mount the rack to my TOAD (2019 GMC Canyon) hitch receiver.

As I dove into the details, I discovered very few racks qualify for RV use. For example, the following is a reply to my inquiry to Hollywood Racks:

Travel trailers (including towed vehicles and fifth wheels) have a slight side to side motion that's very low frequency (1 to 1-1/2 times per second) that fatigues the steel from which the racks are manufactured. The fatigue first happens at a molecular level, but eventually (several thousands of cycles later) a visible crack will appear. Once the crack has formed, it will enlarge, finally to the point where the rack drops off the vehicle and the rack (and bikes) impact the roadway. This is also a dangerous situation for whoever may be following the trailer on the highway. We have seen 100+ incidents where the consumers/end user has not taken this advice and suffered disastrous results. We've even had phone calls from consumers who said they read that advice (do not use on a trailer) and ignored it, only to discover a tragic end result. They went on to say the only rack they have that meets RV requirements for TOADS or travel trailers is the RV Rider.

I contacted Thule and their answer was that same as Hollywood Racks and that the only racks they have approved for RV use is the hanging style racks.

I've not contacted Kuat yet but see in their warranty statements that they have a couple racks that are approved but I don't care for the wheel contact method of securing the bikes as our bikes will have fenders.

Hollywood Racks, RV Rider is a nice enough hitch but lacks some of the features I'm interested in such as the option for ramp loading/unloading.

The search continues.

Just get a hitch tightener and you wont have to worry about the rack moving around. You are also much less likely to get rack rash on your bikes because they wont be moving around as much. I used parts and pieces from a couple less expensive racks to build a custom rack that fit my two Specialized Teros, both over 60lbs, and its working out just fine. If you’re worried about metal fatigue, just inspect it every time you mount it. I agree you don’t want your rack bouncing around, but I think all that concern is more CYA on the rack company’s part than anything, but I guess its probably happened.

About $10 from Amazon
IMG_3420.jpeg

Just get a hitch tightener and you wont have to worry about the rack moving around. You are also much less likely to get rack rash on your bikes because they wont be moving around as much. I used parts and pieces from a couple less expensive racks to build a custom rack that fit my two Specialized Teros, both over 60lbs, and its working out just fine. If you’re worried about metal fatigue, just inspect it every time you mount it. I agree you don’t want your rack bouncing around, but I think all that concern is more CYA on the rack company’s part than anything, but I guess its probably happened.

About $10 from Amazon
View attachment 24491
Not applicable. All racks I've looked at have built in hitch immobilizers.

We use a 1-up rack for our bikes.

Rated for behind RV or Toad, etc.

Also weight rated for E-bikes.

They have a bunch of models with different weight ratings or fat tires etc.

Not applicable. All racks I've looked at have built in hitch immobilizers.
I bought a Thule Easy Fold XT 2. It was one of a very few that were rated to carry our two e bikes on our toad (Jeep JK). The carrier works great but hitch tensor (the part you tighten to make sure there is no wobble) was junk. I almost lost our bikes twice because the threads on the tensioner bolt stripped. The bolt was replaced once under warrantee (the dealer said it is a common problem). After the second failure I took the rack to a Machine Shop and had the receiver modified. They welded on a proper two inch tube and I added a hitch tightener (as suggested by Rich W) and now have worry free travel. Be weary of the factory Hitch Immobilizers.

Darrell

I’m not sure the type RV you have but I have see front mounted receivers and you can put a rack on the front of your truck or possibly motorhome. I’ve never used one. We are still thinking about e-bikes and I may go this route for hauling the bikes.

Latest resources

Back