Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I currently have (had) the Blue Ox Alpha which worked fine for 6+ years. Inspection shows no issues, can continue use but as Dan's Hitch (Elkhart, IN) saved the day for me with a baseplate issue (car issue) I wanted to give them my business as I was considering a new tow bar after learning how Blue Ox improved the locking mechanism (release latches) from studying online. One of the things I hated about the Alpha was having to a 1-1/2 flip with half twist summersault off my roof and on to the release locking mechanism to get it to release. Yeah, enjoy that visual! The new design supposedly prevents this using some "more travel" setup, yeah, okay, let's see how it really works. I can say that I arrived at my location last night on a downhill setup and this typically requires work to get unhooked. The latch released, wow, how did they engineer that? I'm sold!

My dilemma at Dan's Hitch was whether to get the Blue Ox Ascent (7500# tow capability) vs. Blue Ox Avail (10000#). 5K is all I need for my Colorado or even if I went to a larger Silverado someday. So the weight of two really wasn't in the equation. The Ascent is aviation grade aluminum and weighs 10 lbs less than the Avail. Yeah, these things are heavy and I only take mine off at Newmar when they require it off for paint, etc. No fun but not a big deal. The real question came down to repairability with the Ascent being aluminum and Avail being steel. Steel is typically easier to weld from what little I know. For whatever reason the Avail was actually cheaper than the Ascent, maybe due to the aviation grade aluminum? Then the question I had was about rust, again steel vs. aluminum. They said the tow bars are powder coated and used to not be so great with this but are much better now and that should protect from rust, we'll see how time goes with that and hope he's right. I chose the Avail. I'll take the less expensive option and higher strength tow bar (10K) and deal with waddling around with it when I have to remove it for whatever reason.

Amazon has the better prices if you're not buying local and supporting companies like Dan's Hitch. You just have to ensure warranty is not an issue as has been a case for me once in the past (dash radio failed).

Amazon product ASIN B074KK2PWR Amazon product ASIN B00PG2V14G
etrailer is another option to consider, not sure how shipping costs play in.

I've had my Avail for 6 years and it has never given me a day of grief. I only tow a 3,000 LB Honda Fit so it is way overkill but I'm future-proofed. I have not had to rebuild it yet (probably because of the light vehicle I pull). I check it every year but there's no slop and the bushings all look good. About every other year I pull the boots off and clean/lube the bars. The release levers never get stuck.

I’ve had the Alpha tow bar for six years now and have used it to tow a Jeep GC for almost 60,000 miles. I rebuilt the tow bar earlier this year before our 6,000 mile summer travels. I’ve been contemplating replacing it, but there doesn’t seem to be anything significantly wrong with it.

I do hate the fact that there are times I cannot release the arms to disconnect the toad. Usually it’s when I’m not on a flat surface. I also have the problem when the toad is not fully in line with the coach.

I’m in SWFL for the winter and I’m contemplating driving to Tampa for the supershow. Do you know if they sell the towbar at the show and if they are discounted? Although I’m not sure I want to lug it back to my car as I will not be driving my coach there.

As you know, we have the Avail and yes it is heavy. Relatively easy to stow and based on very limited experience easy to hook and unhook the Toad.
Just bought the cover from Amazon.
The Ford loaded is only around 5k Overkill for our application.
Unless there is going to be a Cybertruck that is towable, we are good to go.

I currently have (had) the Blue Ox Alpha which worked fine for 6+ years. Inspection shows no issues, can continue use but as Dan's Hitch (Elkhart, IN) saved the day for me with a baseplate issue (car issue) I wanted to give them my business as I was considering a new tow bar after learning how Blue Ox improved the locking mechanism (release latches) from studying online. One of the things I hated about the Alpha was having to a 1-1/2 flip with half twist summersault off my roof and on to the release locking mechanism to get it to release. Yeah, enjoy that visual! The new design supposedly prevents this using some "more travel" setup, yeah, okay, let's see how it really works. I can say that I arrived at my location last night on a downhill setup and this typically requires work to get unhooked. The latch released, wow, how did they engineer that? I'm sold!

My dilemma at Dan's Hitch was whether to get the Blue Ox Ascent (7500# tow capability) vs. Blue Ox Avail (10000#). 5K is all I need for my Colorado or even if I went to a larger Silverado someday. So the weight of two really wasn't in the equation. The Ascent is aviation grade aluminum and weighs 10 lbs less than the Avail. Yeah, these things are heavy and I only take mine off at Newmar when they require it off for paint, etc. No fun but not a big deal. The real question came down to repairability with the Ascent being aluminum and Avail being steel. Steel is typically easier to weld from what little I know. For whatever reason the Avail was actually cheaper than the Ascent, maybe due to the aviation grade aluminum? Then the question I had was about rust, again steel vs. aluminum. They said the tow bars are powder coated and used to not be so great with this but are much better now and that should protect from rust, we'll see how time goes with that and hope he's right. I chose the Avail. I'll take the less expensive option and higher strength tow bar (10K) and deal with waddling around with it when I have to remove it for whatever reason.

Amazon has the better prices if you're not buying local and supporting companies like Dan's Hitch. You just have to ensure warranty is not an issue as has been a case for me once in the past (dash radio failed).

Amazon product ASIN B074KK2PWR Amazon product ASIN B00PG2V14G
etrailer is another option to consider, not sure how shipping costs play in.
I am kind of a freak when it comes to this stuff and I always go with the higher capacity my Blue Ox is also the 10K tow bar.

Latest resources

Back