Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I am getting ready to set up my 2023 grand Cherokee for towing and the shop I use is recommending a blue ox baseplate instead of a roadmaster baseplate as I have a nighthawk towbar. The shop says the blue ox can be secured better with the current design. Is anyone doing a similar blue ox and roadmaster setup and any issues with it?

Hmmmm, is that what Gary is suggesting now?

I know of a couple guys who have a hybrid setup. Adam just had major issues with his, from a broken DEMCO hinge, to a fully bent RM using BO plates.

His problems, aside from the used RM bar that was underrated, was the fact his Jeep is too high and is causing to much rise. He's having a custom one-piece riser hitch made.

Aside from that, there's no reason not to make a hybrid system using the best rated parts!

@CaptainGizmo Yes, that is what Gary is recommending. He really prefers the BO base plate to secure it better to the chassis, and Roadmaster has BO compatible lock pins.

@CaptainGizmo Yes, that is what Gary is recommending. He really prefers the BO base plate to secure it better to the chassis, and Roadmaster has BO compatible lock pins.
Yes they do, Sheridan. The biggest thing we've discussed is using safety straps for the frame. This is very hard on the Raptor, but really nothing to do with the actual baseplate. But, in all this time, I've not seen a BO install on a Raptor, so I can't comment on that vehicle.

As for Jeeps, again, those safety tethers are SO vital, since many have put the pins, plate, brackets, etc. on the BUMPER assembly...and we all know what can happen to that!

But, not to pick on Jeeps alone, because in the course of the last 2 years, I've accounted for a half dozen failures, and they haven't all been Jeeps.

If Gary can secure those plates better with the BO, then I'd do it...and rest assured.

Latest resources

Back